Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

BMD stands (in this instance) for birth marriage and death certificates, so it's not a data set as such.
    By my exact words (post #6)
    . . .but sometimes a certificate can help prove something you're not sure about.
    I obtained all the birth and marriage certificates of my parent's siblings because I wanted to know the occupation of my grandfathers at various times, as well as confirming exactly where my father was living when his siblings were born.
    I meant that I could add a few more details about my grandfathers' lives (if their occupation changed, and an approximate timeline), and also where they (and by default, my parents) lived. As I said, I knew my mum and her siblings were all born in the same house, but wasn't sure about when my dad's parents moved house.

You also have to remember that over the years there has been a veritable explosion of information made available on the internet. When I first began my research (a couple of months short of twenty-one years ago) the big excitement was still that the 1881 census was online (think it was released in 1998) and FreeBMD had something like three million entries. From the FreeBMD site a few moments ago
    The FreeBMD Database was last updated on Fri 4 Jun 2021 and currently contains 283,782,489 distinct records (371,168,765 total records).
    Yes, a lot of the records now available online were available back then, but in most cases you had to travel to the local record office to view them. Not always possible either time or money-wise if, for example, you lived in Cornwall and your ancestors came from Northumberland.

Sometimes you have to buy a certificate to prove a fact. For one of my twigs I needed the marriage certificate because there were two Charles born within a year of each other in the same small village. One was illegitimate, so I needed the marriage certificate of at least one of them - and ideally both - to confirm which one was mine depending on whether a father was named. I was lucky in that I found both marriages in parish registers online, so although I'd forked out £100+ for an annual sub to a subscription site I saved myself twenty quid in marriage certificates from the GRO.

I've also seen quite a few instances where people with the same surnames marry in the same district and you can't tell which children belong to which marriage unless you buy some of the birth certificates. (This is more 1920s coming towards the present day, for which fewer 'family' records such as the census, are online.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
    Should read, is the profession a useful tool I should start using to help match up ancesters
    Just seen this post.
    Checking the profession can sometimes make you aware that you might have the wrong family in a census for instance. (Though if a sawyer suddenly becomes a lawyer then it's almost certainly a transcription error!)
    I've seen instances where skilled craftsmen (e.g. cordwainers) become labourers so then you have to look at other things that might have happened to cause that. e.g. people leaving a village where there's two or three other cordwainers and there's only enough trade to support one or two at the most.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Pam, I will start to include the professions in my evidence lists.

Starting to feel at home

Would any be able to help me with transcribing the follow two sets of information from death certificates please

Cause of Death?

When and Where Died, Profession, Cause of Death and Informant

Hopefully this is a little larger

Famous for offering help & advice

A)Acute phthisis? - Think that’s TB.
    B) Cardiac failure.
    No P.M. - No post Mortem

19th December 1931
    91 Plum/Plume Street.
    Brass founders lorry driver.
    A) PhThisis pulmonalisis?
    B). Pleurisy
    C) Cardiac failure
    No PM
    H Harrison
    Brother present at death
    1 back of 20 High Park Street,Birmingham

Starting to feel at home

Thank you very very much

Starting to feel at home

Hi, This is not very clear but can anyone help with transcribing the specific details on the army professions below.

Im thinking the first two words for each person is "Private" and "Land Girl", but then rest under the army number I can not work out

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Private the numbers Royal……………… General labourer is the first one.
    Last edited by michellemcintosh3; 30-06-2021 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Adding

Starting to feel at home

Could it be Royal Fusilier?

Starting to feel at home

Could the second one under the numbers W.L.A. would seem to stand for Womans Land Army

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast