Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wordsearch!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    It doesn't have to have been a birth problem. It could be the result of an accident, or even an illness. For example, the most extreme cases of polio could put someone into an iron lung, but limbs could also be paralysed - I remember someone at school who moved around on crutches for that reason.

Do you know what her eventual death certificate says?
    I'm actually yet to find her death, I've done quite a wide search on BDM, and have a possible in 1904, Aged 36 in Aston, Birmingham.
    The family was known to have moved to Aston / Birmingham some time early 1900's from Gloucester. 1901 Census shows her as still in Gloucester, and her Mother Lydia looks to have died in Gloucester in 1917. So Im not sure if the death record of 1904 matches up.

Her name is Mary Ann Harrison, Born 1867, GRO Ref: Volume 06A Page 255 Parents Albert and Lydia. Gloucester registration district, December quarter.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 25-06-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added quarter and registration district for birth details.

Have you tried the 1939 count? Just in case it's not her. Also, there is always the chance, despite her disability, she might have married although, considering the attitudes of the time, it's not over-likely.

I have found that as soon as I rely on an assumption, Murphy's Law of Genealogy takes over and the unlikely turns out to have happened!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyH View Post
    Another quick question on Census (rather than create a new thread)

The first column on is often "No of Schedule" followed by "Road, Street and No or Name of House"
    The number / name of house doesn't seem to be filled in on many of my ancestry census, and I was wondering if the schedule number was often filled in as the house number, or merely just a sequential number?
    Schedule number is always a sequential number because you could have more than one household living in the same house/building.
    Occasionally it would have coincided that the schedule number was the same as the house number but it wouldn't have been the norm.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

IF I have the correct entry on the 1911 census, then it seems that Mary is still alive in 1911.
    Living in Gloucester. Census reference RG14/15284 SN57
    Albert Harrison, 68, laboourer, born Gloucester St Michell (sic).
    Lidyian (sic) Harrison, 70, born Gloucester St Catherine
    Married 42 years, 5 children born, five still alive.

Children found in various census;
    1871 - Albert aged 5, Mary Ann 3, Reuben Edward 7 months.
    1881 - Albert 16, Mary Ann 14, Reuben Edward 8, Emily 7, Alice 2.
    1891 - Albert 25, Mary Ann 23, Reuben Edward 19, Emily 16, Alice 11.
    Also Ernest, grandson, aged 9 months.

1901 - Mary A 32.
    Also listed as sons are Ernest 10 and William H 4. Though my theory is that they are grandsons, as Lydia's age (61) makes it physically impossible for her to be the mother of William.
    I strongly suspect that Ernest Frederick and William Henry are the children of Mary as their birth registrations (September quarter 1890 and June quarter 1896 respectively)have no mother's maiden name listed which usually means an illegitimate birth.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Those are the correct kids of Albert and Lydia (must hve spelt it wrong on the 1911 census.

I seem to have Ernest as Albert and Lydia's son, which is off the 1901 census, but as you say, the 1991 census shows him as their grandson The 1901 census also has a William H down as their son as well.

Can I ask, what do you use for searching the census? It doesnt come up on Ancestry, so if I can find it and link to it elsewhere that would be great

Those are the correct kids of Albert and Lydia (must hve spelt it wrong on the 1911 census.
    That's how Lydia's name was spelt on the household schedule, presumably filled in by Albert, in 1911.
    I seem to have Ernest as Albert and Lydia's son, which is off the 1901 census, but as you say, the 1991 census shows him as their grandson The 1901 census also has a William H down as their son as well.
    Don't blindly believe everything that is written in the census image. Remember that you are looking at a copy of the original and that errors can easily be made. Names, ages, and relationships can all be suspect. In the case of the 1891 and 1901 census check out Lydia's age and then think hoW likely it is that a woman of that age would have borne a child.

Can I ask, what do you use for searching the census?
    I'm having one of my 'brain fog' days and can't work out exactly what you mean by this question.
    Usually I just use name, date of birth +/- 2 years, sometimes adding birthplace or birth county, sometimes adding in name of other person in household.
    Ah, or do you mean which site? In which case the answer is usually FMP, as I find that usually their transcriptions are better than Ancestry's. Though FMP have been known to totally screw up on several occasions.

It doesnt come up on Ancestry, so if I can find it and link to it elsewhere that would be great
    What is 'it' precisely?

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Sorry Sorry, Yes I mean what site, and It I mean as the 1911 census with Mary Ann on doesnt come up on Ancestry, so I will try and link to is via FMP

I haven't found Mary Ann in 1911 (nor Ernest or William) but I based my statement of 'it seems she was still alive in 1911' on the fact that Albert and Lydia said they'd had 5 children and that all five were still living.

I alleGedly checked out likely marriages for Mary Ann Harrison between 1901 and 1911 (e.g. any in Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Birmingham, Aston) but couldn't find a suitable Mary Ann in the 1911 with any of the possible surnames. I searched for plain Ernest and William, using age +/- 2 years, and born in Gloucester, in case they were listed under the surname of Mary Ann's husband, but with no success.

Pam

Sorry Sorry, Yes I mean what site, and It I mean as the 1911 census with Mary Ann on doesnt come up on Ancestry, so I will try and link to is via FMP
    Not Sure why you're having trouble finding the 1911 census entry on Ancestry. I entered Albert Harrison and then the piece number 15284 (Ancestry don't have a box for the schedule number - SN) and he was the first entry.
    Searching for Albert Harrison, no age, living Gloucester, he was the third result.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Pam, I was searching specifically for Mary Ann, and what you have wrote above explains why I couldn't find the record

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12