Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My-o-my... I'm sat here scratching my head trying to work all this out.

Do you think there is a chance that the 2 Michael Morgan's Service Records got mixed up.... There is definitely a belief in the family that Michael was injured at Spion Kop then shipped home, he was also supposed to have served in France, signing up inn 1914. These stories were doing the family rounds when I was a kid, over 50years ago.

But from what your saying documented evidence paints a very different Service Record picture. That's probably why I'd hit a brick wall because of info supplied thru the family

Where & how do I find his WW1 service Record that you mention, I think that would be a good point to restart my research.

Again many thanks for the time & effort you have taken to direct me, it is much appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

If you have Ancestry its under UK, British Army World War I Pension Records 1914-1920. Use his name and service number 3741.

If you have FindmyPast its under British Army Service Records. Use his name and service number 3/3741

Following on from the above, if your family is convinced that 'your' Michael Morgan was injured at Spion Cop, then is there a possibility that there's been an error in tracing him back to Nenagh?

The Michael John Morgan, 5843, who WAS injured at Spion Cop gave an address for his father at Barrow, and I see you're from Workington, so not too far away.

Which of Michael's children do you descend from, and do you have their marriage certificate?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Again... apologies for not responding, but I only just found your response notification in my emails.

To be honest I'm starting to doubt the credibility of my GGrandfathers military record. It seems that its quite difficult, if not impossible to understand where he really served. is Fold3 another ancestry search engine, if so I may subscribe to that.

Again thank you for your help with this it is truly appreciated.

Thasnks again & all the best... Sean

Fold3 is separate to Ancestry & requires a subscription, but you can usually do a free 7-day trial - just make sure you download everything onto your computer. Personally I wouldn't bother with a subscription as the vast majority of its records are for the US.

I don't think its particularly difficult to work out Michael's military history - they key is being certain of his origins by starting with your grandparents marriage certificate. It seems to me that either the family 'story' is right but you've got the wrong Michael Morgan, or vice versa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12