Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Investigation report - training accident.

I am researching a local man who joined the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who was killed whilst under training in Montrose, Scotland in 1941. I know that the date of the investigation was 10 Feb 1941 but know only the basics of the accident. Can anyone assist as to how I can obtain a copy of the report or any further information.

Thanks

Mike

If you know any of his family, you could get them to apply for a copy of his service record.

It's much easier to help if a name is provided!

Thanks for the reply but there are no direct members of his still alive that I know.
    I have tried to find a copy of his service record but with no luck.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is this your man:
    Arbroath Herald and Advertiser for the Montrose Burghs 03 January 1941 - Pilot Officer Clarence M Gauldie

The report simply says that he was killed in an air accident and whose son he was.

FMP newspaper archive has the report, as I suspect so with the British Newspaper Archive.

Thanks but my man is George Wyndham Parnell killed on 5 Feb 1941. I have an interim report as to how the accident happened but I was looking for the full investigation report.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

I am not sure if you will find anything here - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...oks-1939-1945/
    If you know the squadron number it may be worth a look?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thanks Robert.
    Didn't have any luck first time. I'll have another look.

A fountain of knowledge

Would RAF Cranwell be able to help? I note you are looking for the full investigation report so it seems
    as though you have all the info about him personally. However I googled his name and there are several
    sites to look at which gives date of the accident and Service No. etc etc. "South Gloucesershire Memorials"
    refers to the local Hanham family history society booklet etc etc. Hanham I think is Bristol.
    George Wyndham Parnell
    Memorial: Hanham - High Street

Regiment: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Medals: 1939–45 Star, War Medal 1939–1945

Rank and number: Leading Aircraftman Pilot Officer 1163982 and "RAF Command" has a Forum which gives some info "Parnell was in Scotland,

No.8 FTS February 5th 1941, “No.1163982 LAC Parnell, G.W., (27 Course), killed while night flying in Master N7822. Investigation held on 10/2/41.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Sorry Mike I now see you are in Bristol
    Hope this helps in some way. Jill.
    Not sure if you are interested in the RAF but if so do watch "This is Your Life" with Douglas Bader.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Jill,

Unwittingly, you might have found the answer to the query by finding that Peak District website.

I had a feeling that the accident report would be at The National Archives but had no idea of where to look. However, on the Peak District website, if you click on 'About', then select 'references' from the dropdown menu and then scroll far enough down the page you see (under a link to TNA)

– AVIA 5 Accident Investigation Branch Reports

– BT 217 Board of Trade Accident Reports

– BT 233 Board of Trade Accident Reports

TNA result of searching for AVIA 5
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...Branch+Reports

I'm usually useless at searching TNA website but did manage to find this
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C3304125
    Might be useful, might be just a list of the accidents which took place between those dates.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM I am pleased I might have "Unwittingly" helped with this search from the sites i had found
    last evening. Trouble is I tend to look at B Gen rather too late at night then don't have time
    to follow through.

I have a feeling that there was a post about Montrose possibly a year or so ago but seem to recall
    it was to do with tracing someone from there although I may well be wrong on that. I tried to look at
    the RAF site but there are 50 pages which is too much of a herculean task.Jill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast