Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Middleton Home for the Blind, Maldon

I have an ancestor who died here in 1932. It was situated on Mantz Road in Maldon, Essex, and consists of five townhouses. Essex Archives only has a record of some building plans at the home in the 1920s and 1930s. However, it is mentioned that the owner of the home was the Indigent Blind Visiting Society. Does anyone have any more information? I am wondering if it operated more on the lines of sheltered accommodation rather than as an institution. Many thanks.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

There's a decent web page about the Society HERE. While you wait for specific help, it'll give you a bit of background and leads to a couple of books and a link to give you some background.
    Enjoy!

PS Historic England have a photo of the buildings, dated 2005, at the bottom of the page HEREhttps://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-entry/1256324

Thank you Lesley! I had discovered the page about the Society too but not much information specifically about this home. As you say, I probably need to look at some of the books mentioned. Thanks again.

According to the HE site, the building was still standing in 2005.

I've found it on Google Maps and it now looks as if it has been converted into individual private houses.

Do you have access to the 1939 Register?
    If you check for "48 Wantz Road" there are 34 residents - Matron, Assistant Matron, 2 Maids and 29 "Inmates".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The newspapers have a number of job adverts for the home - eg.
    Essex Newsman, 25 Nov 1933

"Cook, daily or resident, for Middleton Home for the Blind; age about 30, used to numbers; strong and capable: Matron, 48 Wantz Road, Maldon."

Two of the "inmates" (a horrible description!) in '39 are Clara Gould and Rose Fisher.
    There's a lovely article in the Daily Mirror, 3 May 1939, headed "Blind, they run a busy church". St Mary's Maldon ran as many as 8 services on a Sunday. The Rector was registered blind and his two principal assistants are Clara and Rose. Yet the place ran faultlessly. Clara, who played the organ, is "totally blind" and Rose "can just see".
    "The two blind women walk arm in arm to Church every Sunday from the Middleton Home for the Blind in Wantz Road, Maldon".

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Do you have access to the 1939 Register?
    If you check for "48 Wantz Road" there are 34 residents - Matron, Assistant Matron, 2 Maids and 29 "Inmates".
    Thank you, that's really helpful. I have now taken a look.

Thanks for letting me know. It all adds to the picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast