Thread: Sugrue

Default Sugrue

Hello everyone,

I am here in the hopes of finding someone who was from Co Kerry and lived in London (Lambeth area). She would have been born roughly around 1943ish (give or take a couple of years either side) and around 1963/64 she worked at Headquarter and General in Coldharbour Lane. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Chloe.

Since you are a new member, you may not be aware that, according to our T&C, we do not allow details about (potentially) living people on the public forum. Since this lady will be in her 70s, unless you are certain that she's dead, the rule applies here. People can, of course, provide help via our private messaging (pm) system but not online.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Chloe,

A couple of suggestions to possibly help you track down your friend.

Was she married when you knew her? If not, then look for a marriage for her.
    FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    is a transcription of the GRO Index of births, marriages, and deaths from the beginning of civil registration in July 1837 to 1992. It's mostly complete up until 1983, and rapid progress is being made on the extension to 1992. I presume the surname you're searching for is Sugrue, and there's quite a lot of entries but you'll be able to cut it down to just a few because you will know her first name whereas I could search only on the surname. Bear in mind that she could have been known at work as, say, Jill, but her birth name which is the one that should appear in official documents might have been Florence.
    If she married, then when searching for a death, remember to search for her married surname. (Spent fifteen minutes one day searching for my granny's death registration, getting very frustrated at not finding it till I realised I was searching under her maiden name!)
    Findmypast have marriages up to 2005 inclusive, and death registrations until the end of 2006, and I think the same years are available on Ancestry. One or both of those sites might be available for free through your local library. - possibly through your computer at home though sometimes you have to go to the library in person and use their computers. Alternatively you can take out a free 14-day trial with either or both companies though make sure you untick the 'auto-renew' boxes otherwise your bank account will get a severe shock.!
    More recent death registrations can be found on the GRO's own website at
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    You have to register, but can then search the indexes for free.

The Probate Calendar is even more up-to-date.
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
    I've found a probate record granted on 14 June 2021, though the person died in February.

There are various tracing agencies, though obviously they're likely to charge you.
    On a Saturday, the Daily Mail has a 'Lost and found' column where they try to re-unite famillies and friends. That has an address to write to for help.

Good luck in your search.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”