Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where does the Dooley come from

Hi. Jools again. This time on my dad's side. My grandad's name was John Dooley Reeves. Born 3/6/1908. Died 10/9/2007. We have always wondered where the Dooley comes from as only 2 of the siblings had this in their name. John's sister Edith was Edith Dooley Reeves. They were from Liverpool. My mum told me yrs ago that there was some skeletons there but my auntie Jean shot me down when I asked. John Dooley Reeves married Violet Southern (nee Shutt. John Dooley a mother's name was Elizabeth Trippier father unknown. Hope you can help solve this mystery. Thankyou again

I would go back a generation, or maybe even 2. The name could come from the uncles/aunts or grandparent level. Possibiities could include the married-in side of each couple. Cynically put, children were frequently called after close (blood or friendly) relatives, distant relatives who might leave the namesake something, others who might be flattered (who also might appear as godparents/witnesses at the baptism).

For example, one of my great uncles worked as a railway porter. There were a lot of boys in his family and by the time they got to him, the main "duty" names had been used. It took me a while to work out that he was named for his father's boss - the railway station master (who was a witness at the baptism).

Some families took the "duty order" so seriously that if both grandfathers had the same forename, both older boys would be given that forename, with the younger one being called by a middle name or a nickname - James and Jamie, or Big Willie and Little Willie all appear in my One Place Study. Did John have a lot of siblings?

Dooley is frequently irish. Any links?

I think John dooley had 6 siblings but not sure of their names apart from Edith who married James Duffy.

Try the 1911 census. That should give some of them. The older generation is more likely to provide helpful information. Grandmother's surnames, for a start.

Famous for offering help & advice

There’s this burial. Perhaps a relative? Father possibly.

Name: John James Dooley Reeves
    Burial
    Birth abt 1878
    Death abt 1946
    Burial Date: 16 Mar 1946
    Liverpool, Lancashire, England

The 1911 census has JDR father as John James Reeves, carter for general carrier, born Birkenhead Cheshire age 33.
    Eizabeth is 32 married 9 yrs 6 children born alive, 4 still living, Elizabeth born L'pool.
    Also M-i-L Margaret Trippier 71 yrs, widow, born Liverpool.
    Children all born L'pool, Margaret 6, Elizabeth 4, John 2.
    James 1 and half yrs born Bootle.

REEVES, JOHN DOOLEY, MMN TRIPPIER
    GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 394

Marriage Sept 29th 1901 at Toxteth St Matthews
    John James Reeves 23, carter, living 8, Spring ST, father George Reeves a bricklayer.
    Elizabeth Trippier 22, living ????(can't decipher first few letters) last letters Dale St, father Thomas Trippier a carter.
    Witnesses Robert Williams and Florence Mary Brabbins.

According to a burial record John James also had the given name Dooley
    Allerton Cemetery L'pool, 16th Mar, 1946. John James Dooley Reeves age 68
    Address 54 Rosebank Rd.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

John James (Dooley) Reeves born abt 1878 marries Elizabeth Trippier in 1901,image of cert on Ancestry,his father is George Reeves a bricklayer.

George Reeves,bricklayer,widower,marries Elizabeth Dooley,widow,in 1887 in Liverpool.

Elizabeth Dooley’s father,John Blackett.

Pam.

1939 register gives John James Reeves birth date 21 Apr 1877, and Elizabeth 10 May 1878
    Thomas L Reeves, 16 Jun 1912; Elizabeth Ellis widow 25 Oct 1907 (Elizabeth 1991 census?), Edith Ellis 4, May 1935. Elizabeth Ellis has the name annoted of Cowan suggesting she later married to a Mr Cowan, and Edith has Adams suggesting a marriage later to a Mr Adams.

I think this is John James Dooley Reeves birth registration, I've yet to explore why he was later known as Reeves.
    DOOLEY, JOHN JAMES, MMN BLACKETT
    GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in BIRKENHEAD Volume 08A Page 520, June qrt is correct for an April 21st birth as people were given 6 weeks to register a birth.
    Alma

I've yet to explore why he was later known as Reeves.
    DOOLEY, JOHN JAMES MMN BLACKETT
    Pamela's post above explains where the surname Reeves came from.
    Alma

Elizabeth Blackett married James Dooley Oct - Dec qrt 1867 at Birkenhead registration district. I'll see if the cert is online.
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast