Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George adams

Default George adams

Looking for the birth father of George Adams born in Coventry 8/1/1908. Married Amy Adams and had one daughter Christina

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Jools22,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Based purely on the Coventry connection and that when he married Amy E. Gray in 1936 he was George E, I'm guessing that your George is the one living in Coventry in 1911 with parents George ADAMS and Lucy WILSON.
    The 1911 census says that George Adams junior was born in Alford (Lincolnshire). This would fit with the birth registration of a George Edward Adams WILSON, March quarter 1908 in Spilsby registration district. (Alford is in that registration district.)
    The GRO's own website index has a blank for the mother's maiden names, which usually indicates an illegitimate birth.
    Younger sister, Ada, birth is registered as Ada Doris ADAMS, mother's maiden name Wilson, in June quarter 1910, Spilsby registration district.
    1911 census reference RG14/18580 SN163.
    The couple claim to have been married four years, but I can't see a marriage for them - nor up to 1921.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Jools and welcome to the British Genealogy Forums.

Is this George and Amy's marriage from FreeBMD index?

Marriages Sep qrt 1936
    Adams George E, Amy Gray Coventry 6d 2548

If so, there doesn't appear to be a birth for George E Adams in Coventry registration district in the first qrt (Jan - Mar) 1908, or a George Adams without a middle initial E.

There are two George Adams registered in the 1st qrt 1908, one in the Stourbridge registration district and one in the Chorlton registration district.

George Edward Adams born 8th Jan 1908 died age 87 May 1995 in the Leicester registration district.
    Alma

Well done, Pam.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

In 1939 Amy E Adams (b 1911) living at 36 Somerset road, Coventry, with George E Adams (b 1908) and Christina L (b 1936) Adams/Reeves

Working from the 1911 entry discovered by Pam. FreeReg has the following baptism record:-
    Walter George Adams. Born 11 October 1887, baptised 30 March 1888. St Margaret,Well. Parents Matthew (gamekeeper) and Mary Adams of Well

The names Walter George Adams and Annie Lucy Wilson appear on the same page of the Splisby marriage register for June Q 1909

Hi. Wow this is all spinning around in my head. So my grandad George Adams was the son of George and Lucy but out of wedlock. He always was called " the bastard". Poor man. The birth and death dates are correct for my grandad Adams. As is George Amy and my mum in Somerset Rd. The Matthew Wells has pricked up my attention as there was always a rumour that a���� relative was the gamekeeper to the Royals. Don't know how true that is. I think you are all amazing how you find all this information. I appreciate it so much. I hope I don't push my luck by bombarding you with questions. I grew up in Australia so didn't have my grandparents to give me any information. It's tough going. Thankyou afain

From GRO Index:- Birth. Walter Adams, Dec Q 1887 Splisby. Mmn Alderton.
    From Free Reg:-
    Marriage. St Mary, South Wootton, Norfolk. 27 October 1875. Matthew Adams, 20 bachelor, gamekeeper. Mary Esther Alderton, 21 spinster. Groom's father. Henry Adams, gamekeeper.
    South Wootton is 5 miles south of Sandringham which has been a Royal residence since 1862. Possible circumstantial evidence in support of your family story of a royal connection.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    Working from the 1911 entry discovered by Pam. FreeReg has the following baptism record:-
    Walter George Adams. Born 11 October 1887, baptised 30 March 1888. St Margaret,Well. Parents Matthew (gamekeeper) and Mary Adams of Well
    Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    The names Walter George Adams and Annie Lucy Wilson appear on the same page of the Splisby marriage register for June Q 1909

Brilliant deduction there, bb.

You have now inspired to look further (as well as making it much easier for me to look!).

1939 Register
    468 Radford Road, Coventry.
    Walter G Adams, date of birth 11 Oct 1887, motor tool turner
    Amy L Adams, 24 Feb 1890, unpaid domestic duties
    Ada D Adams, 22 May 1910, rayon sorter
    Charles H Adams, 24 Nov 1911, roadman labourer,
    Walter E Adams, 4 Jan 1920, wages clerk
    Mary M Adams, 13 May 1925, packer silk and ribbon works
    plus a closed entry

The original entry of Amy was amended to Annie L when she died. (You can tell because the amendment is in green ink.)

Ada married John F W Donnell, March quarter 1948, Coventry registration district.

Mary married Cyril Kelley, March quarter 1951, Coventry registration district.

Birth registrations on FreeBMD, Coventry registration district, surname Adams, mother's maiden name Wilson:
    Charles H, Mar quarter 1912
    Harry, June quarter 1917
    Walter E, March quarter 1920.

The only Mary M Adams born Coventry, birth registered June quarter , Coventry registration district has the mother's maiden name of Hackford, so is Mary possibly a niece?
    FreeBMD has two further birth registrations, Coventry registration district, one in 1928 and the other in 1933.

Always order BMD certificates from
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast