Starting to feel at home

Default Daniel Dunn Staffordshire Death Record

I am unable to find a death record for Daniel Dunn who I believe was born on the 31st December 1810 in Kingswinford, Staffordshire whose parents were John and Mary and was baptised at Brierley Hill. (FreeReg.org.uk search Daniel Dunn baptism Staffordshire 1810)

He married Sarah Hickmans (b. 1809 Kinver, Staffordshire) on the 27th October 1827 at St Mary's Church Kingswinford.

I have located the birth records of three children born in Netherton: David (b.1829), Samuel (b.1831) and Elizabeth (b.1833)

On Find My Past I have found a registration for a burial of Sarah Dunn aged 36 (b.1805) that took place on the 20th January 1841 at St Peter's Church, Kinver, Staffordshire.

I am unable to find Daniel on the 1841 census but also cannot find a record to show he had died.

I am aware that there are 1841, 1871 and 1881 census records for a Daniel Dunn living in Staffordshire whose year of birth varies between 1801-1805 and is married to a woman named Mary. This is not my Daniel. I believe this was a Daniel Dunn baptised on the 11th August 1805 in Dudley who married Mary Ashman on the 13th November 1831 in Rowley Regis.

You could look at Sarah’s death certificate. It should say whether she was a wife or widow. If Daniel died after her, there should be a death registration for him somewhere. If he died before 1837, you’ll have to rely on burial records unless there’s a newspaper announcement.

Have you looked for the children in the census? They’re all very young at the death of heir mother, so knowing who they’re living with might help…

Starting to feel at home

I have found the two boys on the 1841 census. David Dunn aged 15 living in Kingswinford with the family of John Bay a miner aged 30 and Samuel aged 10 living in Muckleston with the family of John Bourne a 60 year old farmer

That could mean that both parents are dead - if they had no relatives, the parish often found them a place.
    Of course, it wasn't unknown for fathers to find everything too much and move away, though, or to marry quite quickly.