Default what was SAS unit called in WW2 ??

Hello all

I was wondering how to find the records of my Uncle Harold Greenfield who started in a scottish regiment and then was choosen for the unit that after the war would be known as the SAS. I think it had another name during WW2 but not sure ?? Are these records still classified or not ?? My Uncle passed away late 1990's or early 2000's. Just wondering what direction to look in ??

Many thanks for any help that can be obtained .

Kind regards

One puzzled Kiwi

Kathryn

Brick wall demolition expert!

All military records after 1921 are held by the Ministry of Defence and have to be applied for. For details see this pist:
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-including-WW2

The SAS grew out of the Long Range Desert Group, but became the SAS before the end of WW2.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Kathryn, I wonder if you are thinking of the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG)? It started in 1940 and worked alongside the SAS after 1943. You could also look at Popski's Private Army (No. 1 Demolition Squadron) and the Special Boat Service.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    All military records after 1921 are held by the Ministry of Defence and have to be applied for. For details see this pist:
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-including-WW2

The SAS grew out of the Long Range Desert Group, but became the SAS before the end of WW2.
    Hello Megan, thank you for this, My uncle Harold was , I thinking, firstly in the Black watch scottish regiment ?? I must hunt up photo of him in kilt and big bearskin?? hat . I know he could say what unit he was transferred to as it was not something you spoke about as was some sort of special forces. How does one apply for the records of a deceased relative ??

Kind regards
    Kathryn

Thank you Peter for this, it is all very puzzling as he didn't speak much about what regiment he was asked to join. From what I gather you were "invited" to join said regiments and didn't apply ?? I think he was in the black watch regiment firstly ?? but I may be wrong . I must hunt up the photo of him in kilt and bearskin ?? hat. Not sure if this is what you call it , oops sorry if I have got that wrong

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn from NZ View Post
    How does one apply for the records of a deceased relative ??

Kind regards
    Kathryn
    The info you need is in Post #2 of this thread

Default Photo of Uncle Harold in uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    The info you need is in Post #2 of this thread
    Hi thanks for that, I overlooked that. Here is a photo of Uncle Harold in uniform. Like most private photos from the early 40's , it is not very clear. Is anyone able to state what regiment he was in from this photo ?? Have added also a cropped one so able to see his left chest area on uniform, still not as clear as would like but best it could be.