Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Question Find newspaper article

I have a clipping of a newspaper article published in Bootle, Liverpool. It was written about my mother on her first trip back to Liverpool after emmigrating to the USA. My mother omitted the title of the newspaper, including date and author. It would have been published in beginning of 1953.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.
    Kathleen

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Presumably your mother is mentioned by name in the article, so try searching the British Newspaper Archive.
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    It's far from complete, but you might just strike lucky.
    It might also be worth searching for earlier articles using your mother's maiden name. You might find a report of her marriage, or of her being awarded a school prize. It's amazing what trivia you can find.

If no luck with the BNA (which is also available on Findmypast) then it will probably be a case of writing to Bootle library to see if they hold copies of the local newspapers and asking if they could do a look-up though you may be charged for this.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Presumably your mother is mentioned by name in the article, so try searching the British Newspaper Archive.
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    It's far from complete, but you might just strike lucky.
    It might also be worth searching for earlier articles using your mother's maiden name. You might find a report of her marriage, or of her being awarded a school prize. It's amazing what trivia you can find.

If no luck with the BNA (which is also available on Findmypast) then it will probably be a case of writing to Bootle library to see if they hold copies of the local newspapers and asking if they could do a look-up though you may be charged for this.

Pam

Hello Pam-thank you for your reply. I checked the website but did not return any results. The article was written by her uncle, a journalist, who wrote for the Liverpool Echo as well as The Bootle Times. My mother’s picture is in the article. I have the original but it isn’t sourced with author, date, place and location. I just thought it would be nice to find it but understand if I can’t.

Kathleen

The Liverpool Echo covers the period 1879-1999 but the Bootle Times covers only 1892-1897 at the online sites mentioned.
    Checking the Liverpool Archive catalogue they appear to hold the Bootle Times for 1947 and from March 1953 to May 1965. You mentioned your article being published "beginning 1953"!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Liverpool Echo covers the period 1879-1999 but the Bootle Times covers only 1892-1897 at the online sites mentioned.
    Checking the Liverpool Archive catalogue they appear to hold the Bootle Times for 1947 and from March 1953 to May 1965. You mentioned your article being published "beginning 1953"!
    Thank your for your reply. I have done some searching and discovered that my mother arrived in England 4 Dec 1952 and departed 17 Jan 1953. So, that said, the article would have been written in that time frame. Living across the miles I am unable to personally go to the library in Liverpool. From your comment about the Bootle Times, the timing for the article does not work so I guess it would be The Liverpool Echo. The article also has a picture of my mother. I was trying to create a source for the article for provenance but understand if its not possible.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by kptz View Post
    Thank your for your reply. I have done some searching and discovered that my mother arrived in England 4 Dec 1952 and departed 17 Jan 1953. So, that said, the article would have been written in that time frame. Living across the miles I am unable to personally go to the library in Liverpool. From your comment about the Bootle Times, the timing for the article does not work so I guess it would be The Liverpool Echo. The article also has a picture of my mother. I was trying to create a source for the article for provenance but understand if its not possible.
    helachau was giving you the years you will find the Bootle Times online, not the years it was published.
    If your mother came from Bootle, and stayed in Bootle on her visit, then I would think the article is more likely to be in the Bootle Times.

I don't know Liverpool at all, but either start by contacting Bootle Library to see if they hold copies of the Bootle Times - if they don't they will know who does - or contact Liverpool Archives direct asking if they could find out if the article appeared in the Bootle Times. If I was you, I'd send a copy of the article as an attachment (makes searching through the pages much easier!) and obviously give them the dates your mother was England and your uncle's name,
    Does the article say anythinig along the lines of 'While Adriana has been back in Bootle she has been catching up with relatives and friends' which would imply that it was written after she'd been here for at least a fortnight, or does it say 'While over here Adriana hopes to catch up with relatives and friends' implying that she's only just arrived?

As I said earlier, they may make a charge for a look-up (it's common practice nowadays, but it'll be cheaper than the air-fare!) or because you live in the States they may do it for free.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    helachau was giving you the years you will find the Bootle Times online, not the years it was published.
    If your mother came from Bootle, and stayed in Bootle on her visit, then I would think the article is more likely to be in the Bootle Times.

I don't know Liverpool at all, but either start by contacting Bootle Library to see if they hold copies of the Bootle Times - if they don't they will know who does - or contact Liverpool Archives direct asking if they could find out if the article appeared in the Bootle Times. If I was you, I'd send a copy of the article as an attachment (makes searching through the pages much easier!) and obviously give them the dates your mother was England and your uncle's name,
    Does the article say anythinig along the lines of 'While Adriana has been back in Bootle she has been catching up with relatives and friends' which would imply that it was written after she'd been here for at least a fortnight, or does it say 'While over here Adriana hopes to catch up with relatives and friends' implying that she's only just arrived?

As I said earlier, they may make a charge for a look-up (it's common practice nowadays, but it'll be cheaper than the air-fare!) or because you live in the States they may do it for free.

Pam
    Thank you Pam for your explanation and your advice. I appreciate your time and advice. The article does say she is “now visiting friends and family.” I will take your suggestion and reach out.

Kathleen

My reply explained
    (a)the periods covered online by British Newspaper Archive/FindMyPast for the 2 publications you are interested in and
    (b) the periods covered by the Bootle Times held at Liverpool Archives according to their catalogue ie.1947 and "from March 1953".

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    My reply explained
    (a)the periods covered online by British Newspaper Archive/FindMyPast for the 2 publications you are interested in and
    (b) the periods covered by the Bootle Times held at Liverpool Archives according to their catalogue ie.1947 and "from March 1953".
    Thank you helachau. I have subscribed a trial to FindMyPast to see if I can find anything. I have spoken with my cousin who said his father wrote for both publications. I have the clipping but not the source identified. I do appreciate your time and advice.

Kathleen

You can search British Newspaper Archive (BNA) free. If it finds an item against the search key entered it returns an extract/snippet from the article. But to view the article requires subscribing/credits. But it allows you to determine if an item exists.

You quoted from the article ie. "now visiting friends and family". I have searched BNA under the search key "visiting friends" or "friends family" (remember - less is more when searching) without success.
    What search keys are you using?
    Note - I won't go into the issues associated with OCR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast