Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    You can search British Newspaper Archive (BNA) free. If it finds an item against the search key entered it returns an extract/snippet from the article. But to view the article requires subscribing/credits. But it allows you to determine if an item exists.

You quoted from the article ie. "now visiting friends and family". I have searched BNA under the search key "visiting friends" or "friends and family" (remember - less is more when searching) without success.
    What search keys are you using?
    Note - I won't go into the issues associated with OCR.
    I tried “now visiting friends and family” “Fog And Snow” “Miss Sheila Moore” as well as the probable author Lawrence Moore. The article I am searching is a short one with a photo of my mother and what appears to her on the front step with perhaps a broom. I would attach a copy if I could but don’t see a way to do so

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    Thank you!

Settling in

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the article

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The wording of the article 'a former resident of Southport' makes me think that the article was printed in a Southport newspaper, rather than one in Bootle. (By modern-day roads, Bootle to Southport is just over seventeen miles.)

Sheila's arrival date of 4 December 1952 was a Thursday, and the article says 'arrived the previous weekend', therefore making the date of publication of the article somewhere around 11/12/13 December.

Are you basing the likelihood of the article appearing in the Bootle Times or the Liverpool Echo on the fact that your uncle wrote for those papers? If so, I think you can forget that idea, as the article is a standard write-up for newspapers of that time of people returning to their home town after emigrating. (I suppose the obvious question to ask now is - where was your mum born? Have you found her, her parents, any siblings, in the 1939 Register?)
    Do you know where Sheila's sister was living in 1952?

I would now suggest that you contact Southport Library
    https://sefton.gov.uk/schools-learni...t-library.aspx
    asking if they hold copies of the local papers for December 1952. Attach a copy of the article, and ask if it would be possible for them to (based on your mother's arrival date of Thursday 4 December 1952) please check the papers published circa 11/12 December for the article. Tell them you'd just like to know the newspaper and date of publication, with the page and column numbers being an added bonus.
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The wording of the article 'a former resident of Southport' makes me think that the article was printed in a Southport newspaper, rather than one in Bootle. (By modern-day roads, Bootle to Southport is just over seventeen miles.)

Sheila's arrival date of 4 December 1952 was a Thursday, and the article says 'arrived the previous weekend', therefore making the date of publication of the article somewhere around 11/12/13 December.

Are you basing the likelihood of the article appearing in the Bootle Times or the Liverpool Echo on the fact that your uncle wrote for those papers? If so, I think you can forget that idea, as the article is a standard write-up for newspapers of that time of people returning to their home town after emigrating. (I suppose the obvious question to ask now is - where was your mum born? Have you found her, her parents, any siblings, in the 1939 Register?)
    Do you know where Sheila's sister was living in 1952?

I would now suggest that you contact Southport Library
    https://sefton.gov.uk/schools-learni...t-library.aspx
    asking if they hold copies of the local papers for December 1952. Attach a copy of the article, and ask if it would be possible for them to (based on your mother's arrival date of Thursday 4 December 1952) please check the papers published circa 11/12 December for the article. Tell them you'd just like to know the newspaper and date of publication, with the page and column numbers being an added bonus.
    Pam
    Thank you Pam for your reply. My mother was born in Bootle and the family lived on Southport Rd until both my grandparents passed away. I cannot find my mother on the 1939 register. She was 9 at the time and the story is she was sent away to the country.The family had a total of 5 children. On the 1939 Register, there should have been 7 rows for the family. There are only 5. The oldest child is listed but the next two lines are closed. Anybody that would have information is gone and we are not in contact with anyone save one cousin, son of the author of the article.

I will take your suggestion and write to the library. Thank you again for all your advice.
    Kathleen

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

OK, as you were.

I'm now wondering if the article missed out the word 'Road' after Southport.
    Especially as I've found a passenger list entry for Sheila's return to New York which says her last address in the UK was 535 Southport Road, Liverpool 20.
    In which case, it might still be an article in either the Bootle Times or Liverpool Echo.

I think it's a case of just writing to the library/archives which hold those newspapers, and attaching a copy of the article and seeing which one can find it.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    OK, as you were.

I'm now wondering if the article missed out the word 'Road' after Southport.
    Especially as I've found a passenger list entry for Sheila's return to New York which says her last address in the UK was 535 Southport Road, Liverpool 20.
    In which case, it might still be an article in either the Bootle Times or Liverpool Echo.

I think it's a case of just writing to the library/archives which hold those newspapers, and attaching a copy of the article and seeing which one can find it.

Pam
    Thank you again, Pam. I will do as you suggest.
    Kathleen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12