A fountain of knowledge

Default Queen's Rangers and 14th Regiment of Foot

Hello folks,

I am hoping someone can throw a bit of light on where and what a soldier was doing. Thomas Killick (or Kellick) joined the army in 1783 and admitted as a Chelsea Pensioner in 1803. There is a record for him relating to the Chelsea Pension which says that he was a Queen's Ranger. The title of the document also says he was in the 14th Foot, but this doesn't appear on the page, so I don't know how that was arrived at.

So the Queen's Rangers, I find, were disbanded in 1783 after the end of the American Revolutionary War, though reformed in 1791 in Canada. This unit was then disbanded again in 1802 - which I guess was about the time the soldier (Thomas Killick, or Kellick) had completed 19 years and 10 months service and trickled off the Chelsea Hospital for his pension.

If he was in the 14th Foot from 1783, what were they doing? Only fleeting references to the period 1783 until the Rangers reformed in 1791. After 1791 I guess he was in Canada building roads and the like, but what was he doing earlier? If they were in Europe, it seems a bit odd that Killick would wind up in Canada. In a unit which seems to have been raised by their Colonel, which I would have thought would have been locally recruited. Any ideas as to how this worked, please?

Best wishes,

Lenore

Famous for offering help & advice

If I'm looking at the same document then it covers two pages, the first of which is headed '14th Foot' and says he was in the West Indies 25 Dec 1782 - 24 Jul 1788, when he was discharged. The page is dated 10 Jan 1810, Muster Master General's Office. Dated the same day is a second page, headed Queen's Rangers, saying Certificate of 4 1/2 years service in the West Indies to be removed from 1f(?) to ?? at Middx.

I've then found a second record, which I now think is perhaps the one you're referring to, that lists a number of men and says Thomas was 46, served as 19yr 10m, and his residence was Rygate. Admitted to pension 7 Feb 1803 due to a reduction, which will be the disbandment you mentioned.

ADDED: From what little Ive found (although I haven't done much of a search) the 14th were in Jamaica from 1782, and back in England in 1791.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    If I'm looking at the same document then it covers two pages, the first of which is headed '14th Foot' and says he was in the West Indies 25 Dec 1782 - 24 Jul 1788, when he was discharged. The page is dated 10 Jan 1810, Muster Master General's Office. Dated the same day is a second page, headed Queen's Rangers, saying Certificate of 4 1/2 years service in the West Indies to be removed from 1f(?) to ?? at Middx.

I've then found a second record, which I now think is perhaps the one you're referring to, that lists a number of men and says Thomas was 46, served as 19yr 10m, and his residence was Rygate. Admitted to pension 7 Feb 1803 due to a reduction, which will be the disbandment you mentioned.

ADDED: From what little Ive found (although I haven't done much of a search) the 14th were in Jamaica from 1782, and back in England in 1791.
    Thank you so much! I hadn't seen the first doc you mention, only the second. And yes, this morning I found a reference to the 14th in Jamaica in 1782 and returning to Portsmouth in 1791. This seemed to dovetail nicely with the Queen's Rangers being formed and departing from Portsmouth in 1791, so the reference to him being discharged (esp in view of his 20 years' service) in 1788 is a puzzle. And why remove 4 1/2 years' service from whatever? I'm not sure Thomas lived at Reigate (or Ryegate as they call it). The family lived at Chipstead, not far off, and the Chelsea record says "comes here", which I am guessing just means he attends for pay or medical at Reigate. Not sure how all that worked, but I certainly know more today than I did yesterday. He seems to be in the 1841 Census in Chipstead with a wife, so now beating around looking for a marriage. No success thus far.

Thank you very much once again, I will continue to toss this around. Don't really understand the import of the first doc, but will attempt to find it myself.

Best wishes,

Lenore

Glad it was of help. Possibly confusing things further, there are also two records for him on FMP showing the regiment as Fencibles, as does a third one on Ancestry. All three state he died 11 July 1846, aged 86, with two also confirming his admission to pension date as 7 Feb 1803.

Good luck sorting it all out!

A fountain of knowledge

I'm going to need more than luck. For the life of me I can't find these other documents you mention, other than the Chelsea Pension doc. Not on Ancestry, not on FMP and not at TNA. Obviously beyond my skill level. Which is very disappointing, I can tell you.

Would you mind terribly giving me a step by step description of how to find them, please? We are in hard lockdown in Melbourne, nothing else to do, and I STILL can't find them. Feeling very pathetic. Spent all afternoon and evening on this yesterday and got nowhere.

Best wishes,

Lenore

A fountain of knowledge

It's ok, I stopped being pathetic and retraced my steps in Ancestry and this time I clicked on the Military entry for "Soldier, Veteran, and Prisoner Rolls and Lists" with two records appended. For some reason I by-passed that in favour of the Pension Records. So now I have the three records from Ancestry. I can't find two on FMP. My User ID on Ancestry is Lenore124, and the tree is Griffith. Perhaps you wouldn't mind checking Thomas Killick b 1759 to see the three docs I have - and maybe that's all?

Thanks.

I've had a quick look at your tree, and the 3 Ancestry docs are the same as Id found.

The easiest way to find the latest FMP ones is to use Fencibles as a keyword. He's transcribed as Thos/Thomas Kellick. You've probably missed them as the years are 1842-52 and 1845-54 (ie they cover his year of death).

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    The easiest way to find the latest FMP ones is to use Fencibles as a keyword. He's transcribed as Thos/Thomas Kellick. You've probably missed them as the years are 1842-52 and 1845-54 (ie they cover his year of death).
    Again, thank you, and bless your little white socks. I'd never have gone looking for anyone serving as a Fencible, whatever the heck that is. I will look it up!

Ah yes, I can see why I ignored those British Army Service Records mid 19th Century. Well, I am a bit of a dunce, but learning all the time. Thank you for your help, you have been a gentleman and a scholar, despite all my whining!

Best wishes,

Lenore