Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So many Smiths

Hi Kathleen
    Please do come back and let us know what the birth certificate says when you get it.
    Using the details in post #14 by Alma you can buy a PDF version (which is cheaper) from the GRO site
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
    You will have to join but it is free.
    Pamela, Barbara and Squaredancer you have all brought up some interesting points, thanks, and I will do some searching around to see if there is anything else to help in this search.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi All

I’ve had quite a busy day!
    I’ve ordered the birth certificate and will update when I receive it from the GRO, I’ve also spent some time looking into James and Rose Blanche Floyd and also Frederick Haldane Smith who was found by Pamela. I’m still convinced that Haldane must be of some significance as it such an unusual middle name.
    Your insights and suggestions have been brilliant - thank you so much.

There is a public tree on ancestry for Frederick Haldane Smith born 1893 and it also has this record
    Gregory Haldane Jackson
    Birth Date 31 May 1802
    Baptism 23 June 1802
    Baptised Calcutta, Bengal, India
    Father - Gregory Jackson.

Reference I Dv 6 p 114 FHL Film Number 498609

He died in 1828.
    His sister Eliza Bingley Jackson born 1799 Calcutta married a John Augustus Smith born 4 December 1797 Dundonald, Ayr, Scotland and died 31 July 1830 Bengal, East Indies
    Eliza died 25 August 1834 Kanpur Kacheri Cemetery

It looks as if the middle name Haldane goes back a long way. I wonder if there is a connection for your Mabel to this family?

Hopefully the birth certificate will be a help.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

On the 1936 electoral roll there is a Mabel Haldane Smith living at 60 Himley Rd,Tooting with a Harold Phill Le Petit.
    Then I spotted this birth reg.

Rose M C Lepetit
    JFM. 1937
    Surrey Mid Eastern
    MMN - SMITH
    Volume Number: 2a
    Page Number: 206

and this other reg looks like the same person but with a different MMN and page number has changed from 206 to 206a.

Rose M C Lepetit
    JFM 1937
    Surrey North Eastern
    MMN - CATTERICK
    Page Number: 206a

A fountain of knowledge

I have only skimmed through this thread which I find very interesting and in particular the Haldane name.
    Christina's post No 23 has a Scottish and Indian link (sorry don't quite know how to copy the quote) I don't know if this is of any help at all but I idly googled Haldane and it comes up with "The Haldane effect is a property of hemoglobin first described by John Scott Haldane" so I looked at his Wiki entry and his son was John Burden Sanderson Haldane who worked in India. but I note the date is too late "In 1956, Haldane left University College London, and joined the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) in Kolkata, India

There is a Haldane family tree online. I can't find any of the surnames mentioned in other postings though but perhaps there is a link with Haldane an ancient Scottish clan and their work in India? On the other hand perhaps there isn't!! Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Like Pamela I had found Mabel at the address in Himley Road, along with Phil Le Petit via Ancestry searches. I had no idea about the other information though. Any idea why the page number would change?
    Still waiting patiently for the information from GRO
    And like Jill I don’t know how to copy a quote but the name Haldane does seem to have strong Scottish links.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi

I now have a copy of Mabels Birth Certificate, the details are as follows:

b 06.01.1915 at Clapham Maternity, 41 Jeffreys Road
    Mabel Haldane
    Girl
    No father info
    Name, surname and maiden surname of mother: Edith Ellen Smith, a Cook (Domestic) of 74 Seymour Road, Gravesend
    Signature, description and residence of informant : E.E. Smith, Mother. 72 Jeffreys Road, Clapham Road

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    On the 1936 electoral roll there is a Mabel Haldane Smith living at 60 Himley Rd,Tooting with a Harold Phill Le Petit.
    Then I spotted this birth reg.

Rose M C Lepetit
    JFM. 1937
    Surrey Mid Eastern
    MMN - SMITH
    Page Number: 206

and this other reg looks like the same person but with a different MMN and page number has changed from 206 to 206a.

Rose M C Lepetit
    JFM 1937
    Surrey North Eastern
    MMN - CATTERICK
    Page Number: 206a

OK back on the search but the information on the birth certificate isn't giving me any clues - there are a lot of births for an Edith Ellen Smith and as we have no idea where or when it is difficult and my brain is a bit foggy at the moment.
    However to get me moving I thought I would look at the birth registration that Pamela found and see if I could find a Le Pettit/Catterick marriage. The only one that came up is a William A Le Pettit to a Minnie Catterick in 1909 March 1/4 Wandsworth reg dist. On the entries on FreeBMD there are 6 females and only 2 males, one of the other females being a Minnie Caroline L Ellis. She appears to be a different Minnie with birth registered June 1/4 1881 W.Ham
    Minnie Catterick birth reg 7 June 1889
    William A Le Pettit and Minnie nee Catterick had a daughter Violet Le Pettit baptised 1913 who was born July 1st? 1909 according to her baptism record but I can't see her birth reg on FreeBMD. Violet appears to have adopted the first name Amelia for her marriage to Sidney J Block in 1931. Amelia Violet is in the 1939 register with a presumed son William G Block and a blacked out entry before him which could be another child. Violet says she is married but is at 37 Myrtle Road Eastbourne and no husband in sight.
    I have no idea where I am going with this at the moment and I have to leave it for now but will come back to it later. At the very least we may be able to discount all of this info.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

72, Jeffrey's Road was the Waiting and Convalescent Home of Clapham Maternity Hospital. The full address is 72 Jeffreys Road, 165 Clapham rd, Clapham S W.

In 1911 Arthur and Minnie Woolgar are at 74, Seymour Rd.
    Arthur Horace Woolgar married Minnie Elizabeth Gearing Sep qrt 1908, Dartford.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Any clues on why there are the 2 birth regs? Are they the same person?
    Does the page number 206a mean anything?

Pam.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast