Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lightbulb Index of Ships by Port (BT98) & (BT113)

I have many voyages to find from the reference numbers in BT113 (1845-1851). I have started searching through various films in BT98 using Family Search. In doing so, I have decided to keep a record of each ships number at the port of registry. I have found this to be really useful and it has helped me find an earlier voyage at the same port. I have found that ships mostly keep the same reference number at the port regardless of year. For example, a ship with reference 729-104 6-51(Cuba, Whitby, June 1851), will use the same number in other years e.g in 1848 it will be 729-104 6-48 or 12-48 if Home Trade, or something like 729-104-6 for Foreign Trade. The ports I am mostly interested in are London, Newcastle, Shileds and Whitby. I now have a growing database of over 1,200 ships from various years at these ports.
    Is anyone else doing this? If so, we can pool our resources and hopefully put together a really useful tool - please contact me.
    In the meantime, I'm open to doing look ups if anyone wants. Just put the voyage reference and I'll check. You may be lucky. Please note : It has to be London, Newcastle, Shields or Whtiby only.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

For reference: London =64, Newcastle =75, Shields =124, Whitby =104

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just an update - I now have over 2000 ships on my database from these four ports.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The index is now on the Crew List Index Project (CLIP) website and is called the Port Rotation Numbers Project. It has grown to include many ports including London. Please see CLIP for more details.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I keep forgetting to say congratulations on 2000+ shipa, followed by thank you for all your work.
    I know from experience that transcribing can be a boring task, but you get a great sense of achievement when you can either stop because you've finished or at least stop for a rest because you've reached the end of a particular section.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Pam.
    I am pleased to say there are now over 5,000 ships for several UK ports all indexed and now available on CLIP. The port of London is also complete for 1851 and will shortly be added to the search engine.
    The index helps researchers to find crew lists for the period 1845-1856 using Port Rotation Numbers. For more info please follow this link https://www.crewlist.org.uk/about/portrotation#helpus