Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Isaac Abraham Jacobs b1811 Exeter

Looking to try and find Isaacs roots. Can't find any birth record for him. He married Elizabeth Lewis 1833 in Bristol, Gloucestershire. Children were...Abraham Isaac Jacobs b1834, Emma b1839, Samuel Phillip b1841, Elizabeth b1843, Esther Jane b1844, James b1849, and Lydia Charlotte b1857. I have children's births and census info for Isaac and Elizabeth. Just can't find anything else. Thank You

Hi Pam
    I have seen your family tree on Ancestry and looked at your current data. There is no data on JewishGen 1851 Anglo Jewish data base for Isaac and I noted from the records that he married Elizabeth in a Church of England ceremony. Also noted no family members appeared as witnesses at the Banns. His fisrt child Abraham was baptised in 1834 at Ebenezer Wesleyan church.
    This data suggests:
    1 Was he a Jew who married out of the Jewish custom
    1.1 Were his names coincidental with many Jews
    2 Was he a Christian convert

He does not appear in my Jewish records such as Berger or the Jewish Chronicle but that maybe for several reasons the main being that he married out of the Jewish custom.
    There will be no birth records for him because Jews don't have such birth records certainly not pre 1837 civil records. Males might have a circumcision record but this depends on the mohel recording such a record which was very rare.
    Do you have evidence to suggest he was a Jew?

I will look further but the above points are important to consider.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Knowledgeable and helpful

This chap has been searched for previously: https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...Abraham-Jacobs

You are quite right about this line being previously posted on and my responses. I had forgotten about the thread.
    Administrators might want to look at this new thread and the earlier one because data is going to be repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    You are quite right about this line being previously posted on and my responses. I had forgotten about the thread.
    Administrators might want to look at this new thread and the earlier one because data is going to be repeated.
    Thankyou for your response Philip. I am aware that I've posted about Isaac before. So apologise if i've offended you.
    My latest post was just to try and find his birth record. Obviously new records are released all the time and I'd hoped that maybe a record for his birth may be one of them.
    Thankyou for this reply, and your previous one.

Hi Pat
    The Administrators usually pick up on new threads which have been previously posted on. If your new post was linked to the original one then this would help you and others to re-visit data and post new information.

I lived in WA and know how difficult it can be to research family history from a distance.
    I did note Jacobs names in the Exeter Jewish cemetery but there was nothing to link them clearly to your line. As you rightly say new data emerges all the time so it is important to keep on looking.
    From memory, I know that there was a recent publication on the Jews of the South West of England. I will look it up because there maybe names of relevance.

A small update on Jacobs Jewish lines in Exeter for the period 1760s-1840s. There is the record of Abraham Ezekiel and Kitty Jacobs leasing land in Mary Arches Exeter on which the present Synagogue was consecrated in 1764. Currently, I have not seen any data to confirm who this Kitty Jacobs was and whether or not she had any relationship to the Isaac Abraham Jacobs b 1811 Exeter. The 1841 Census shows 2 Jacobs living in Exeter born Foreign parts pen cutters.
    In the 1851 Census there were 81 Jews born in Exeter. In 1796 5 Jews had shops in Exeter. The majority of the Jews in the area were peddlars in a variety of limited trades.
    Looking wider a field there were Jacobs in Bideford and the South West of England for the period being researched.
    Nb The Exeter Probate Registry was destroyed during Blitz on Exeter 1942.
    This means that if there were any wills referring to Isaac Abraham Jacobs they no longer exist.

There is still no data which links Isaac Abraham Jacobs to any known current Jacobs on family trees.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    A small update on Jacobs Jewish lines in Exeter for the period 1760s-1840s. There is the record of Abraham Ezekiel and Kitty Jacobs leasing land in Mary Arches Exeter on which the present Synagogue was consecrated in 1764. Currently, I have not seen any data to confirm who this Kitty Jacobs was and whether or not she had any relationship to the Isaac Abraham Jacobs b 1811 Exeter. The 1841 Census shows 2 Jacobs living in Exeter born Foreign parts pen cutters.
    In the 1851 Census there were 81 Jews born in Exeter. In 1796 5 Jews had shops in Exeter. The majority of the Jews in the area were peddlars in a variety of limited trades.
    Looking wider a field there were Jacobs in Bideford and the South West of England for the period being researched.
    Nb The Exeter Probate Registry was destroyed during Blitz on Exeter 1942.
    This means that if there were any wills referring to Isaac Abraham Jacobs they no longer exist.

There is still no data which links Isaac Abraham Jacobs to any known current Jacobs on family trees.

Thank you Phillip...I will follow up this information. Even though Isaac Abraham Jacobs can't be found it is still very interesting.

Looking at the first names of the children of Isaac there maybe clues to tracing the line further. The proviso is that Isaac is a Jew. The Sephardim naming tradition for children is after a living relative usually a grandparent. Having researched hundreds of Sephardim names and wills I think that if Isaac is a Jew then he is Ashkenazi and if so, the naming tradition providing the grandparents are dead is that the first son is given the name of the paternal grandfather and the second son that of the maternal grandfather.
    The 1st son of Isaac is Abraham Isaac and the 2nd son Samuel Phillip.
    This also presupposes that Isaac maintained Jewish customs. So far, there is no record of his conversion or baptism.
    I haven't checked where he is buried to see if it was a Jewish cemetery.
    Looking at the census returns he is in at least 3 trades or combination of trades- accountant, fruit trade and then in some form of manufacturing in London.
    He dies in Clapton in 1871. Why did he move to London?
    More to consisder.

I see that Isaac is buried in Abney Park Cemetery Stoke Newington Hackney. This is an open cemetery. Given the background to Isaac regarding marriage and baptisms of his children then it is no surprise he is not buried in a Jewish cemetery.
    In the 1871 census his occupation is difficult to read- it maybe a mispelling of shellac.

On another point- the last name Jacobs can also be Jacob and in 1871 Isaac's last name is Jacob but this maybe an error. In addition, my own Jacobs lines from Germany also had the last name Letson aka Litzen and derivations probably from the place name. This means that the last name Jacobs may or may not be relevant to the parents of Isaac.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast