Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Samuel Mould c. 1752 Shropshire

My main brick wall is my 3-greats grandfather Samuel.

I just can't find a birth for him and neither can anyone else who has tried.

I have his marriage to Sinah Jones in Oswestry on 26 September 1787, I have the births/baptisms of his 6 children (4 in Selattyn and twins in Hanmer), and his death in Ketley, near Wellington on 16 June 1839 aged .

I also have his wife's death certificate on 26 June 1827, so he was a widower for a long time.

I have checked registers in Shropshire, Cheshire, Flintshire and Worcester and can't find a birth for Samuel. I have a note that Find My Past has a birth date of 1751, but I can't afford to access it to check. I am pretty sure it wasn't the correct Samuel anyway.

Can anyone help?

Hi Stan
    I have deleted the exact same post you had in the Brickwalls forum. This is because duplicate posts can cause confusion and frustration if members are posting information in one forum and then discover the same information has been provided in the other forum. It then gets very messy so one post per each subject is the way to go.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Stan
    I have deleted the exact same post you had in the Brickwalls forum. This is because duplicate posts can cause confusion and frustration if members are posting information in one forum and then discover the same information has been provided in the other forum. It then gets very messy so one post per each subject is the way to go.
    Christina

Thanks for sorting that out. Noobie here!

Actually, I suspect it might have been better to delete the post in the Shropshire forum as that seems less busy and left it in the brick walls forum, but no matter, as long as it's up somewhere it should be seen.

Now in the Brickwalls forum.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Stan, do you know anything about Samuel's siblings? What did he do for a living?

Knowledgeable and helpful

What was his occupation? I know of a Mould family who were papermakers.They were from Dorset but moved around the country. pwholt

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't see a 1751 baptism, only these:

25 Mar 1752 St John the Baptist, Knutsford, Cheshire, Samuel s/o William Moult of Nether Knutsford, Baker.
    29 Apr 1752 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, Samuel s/o James & Hannah Mold

What were the names of his children? Families often followed a naming pattern starting with their own parents names.

I'd also be slightly wary of the age at death, as the informants didn't always get this right!

EDIT: It looks like his age is correct if this is him in 1821: https://www.shropshirearchives.org.u...P291_V_1_1_133

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Stan, do you know anything about Samuel's siblings? What did he do for a living?
    Sorry, I should probably have been more specific but didn't want to overburden the first post.

On his marriage entry he was a labourer - I would imagine that meant farm labourer given where he lived and the year. His death certificate in 1839 says the same.

I know nothing of his siblings at all, because I don't know for certain know his birth date or where he was born.

However, his first 4 children were born in Selattyn near Oswestry -
    Samuel b. 24/6/1788 (my 2-greats grandfather) who moved first to Great Wyrley near Cannock and married Fanny Wright in Wolverhampton on 26/12/1821 and then moved to Tipton at some stage.

John b. 05/03/1790 and moved to Coseley near Tipton and could have been a manservant. I can't find many details about him such as a marriage or death, but there is a possibility of a Mary Willits but no dates

Elizabeth b. 11/1/1792 who probably never married and stayed with her mother and father until they both died.

Mary b. 28/12/1794 and who married Samuel Davies in Wellington on 6 December 1818

Then they seem to have moved to Hanmer in Flintshire where the twins David and Ann were baptised on 11 Mar 1798 and the family surname was spelled 'Mold'.

Around the late 18-teens they all appear to have moved to Wellington, quite a way from Hanmer, and from there the 3 lads moved to the Black Country (except Samuel who first went to Gt Wyrley and then moved to Tipton) and the three girls stayed in Wellington.
    Ann married George Onions on 31 Dec 1820 in Wellington.
    David moved to Batman's Hill, part of Bilston very near Tipton and first married Phoebe (spelt Phebe) Granger on 11 May 1828 and later married Charlotte Smith (a widow) on 16 May 1840.

I hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I don't see a 1751 baptism, only these:

25 Mar 1752 St John the Baptist, Knutsford, Cheshire, Samuel s/o William Moult of Nether Knutsford, Baker.
    29 Apr 1752 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, Samuel s/o James & Hannah Mold

What were the names of his children? Families often followed a naming pattern starting with their own parents names.

I'd also be slightly wary of the age at death, as the informants didn't always get this right!
    See my reply to Lesley Robertson for his children's names and dates.

I have a copy of Samuel's death certificate and if I knew how to post a photo I would put it up on here! That's how I calculated his likely birth year.

Can anyone explain how to do that? It looks as though it can only be done if linked to a URL.

Famous for offering help & advice

Given the Staffordshire connection in later years, there's this one:

3 Mar 1754 All Saints, Ranton, Samuel s/o Samuel & Mary Mould.

The 'standard' naming pattern was first son named after the father's father & second daughter named after the father's mother, so it would fit on that basis, even though the year is slightly out. Were Sinah's parents John & Elizabeth?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast