Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    norfolk white

Question Catherine Lewthwaite of Whicham (1706) married John Cole in Millom (1741)

Anyone have any info on Catherine Lewthwaite? She was christened August 14, 1706, at Whicham, and she married John Cole in 1741, at Millom, Cumberland, - they had 3 children that I am aware of, Ferdinando (christened April 10 1742, at Millom), John (ch. May 14, 1745 at Millom) & Mary (ch. June 4 1743). Catherines father was called Richard Lewthwaite but I have no further info. on him or on Catherine's mother.

Any help most welcome.

Thanks

Pete L

Default re ur question about Catherine Lewthwaite

My familt tree has a Richard born 1695 who had a son Christopher born 1710 married to Anne.......... I cant as yet find any more infomation an any other siblings for either but as they were both born in Millom........... possibly related ?
    If I can help in any way please contact me via my e-mail
    Regards
    Pete Lewthwaite

norfolk white

Thumbs up

Peter,

Thank you for your help. If we find that your Richard is Catherine's father I will be in touch asking for more info from you. If I find out anything more about my Richard I will contact you and I would appreciate it when you find out more about your Richard you contact me.

Thanks a lot.

Ivor Holden

AnneC

Default Catherine Lewthwaite

Catherine's father, Richard Lewthwaite was the brother of my 7xgreat-grandfather, Thomas Lewthwaite. Their parents were Richard Lewthwaite and Ann Muncaster, married 4 Feb 1663 in Whicham. There were 3 more generations of Richard Lewthwaite before that.
    Regards
    Anne

norfolk white

Thumbs up

Anne,

Thanks for that info. I have sent you an email requesting the info regarding Richard that you mention.

Regards,

Ivor

TishIrwin

Since it's been a while since your message, you may already have this information from elsewhere, but the parish registers for Holy Trinity Church in Millom have the following burial on 20 December 1746:
    “Cathrin wife of John Cawell of Haverigg” which I'm pretty sure is Catherine Lewthwaite who married John Cole/Cowell/Cawell. I am descended from their son Ferdinando and have birth dates (only) for Catherine's five siblings and some rather tentative dates and marriages for her next three generations back (to about 1550). If you don't already have them, let me know.
    Tish

norfolk white

Thumbs up

Tish,

Just picked up your message. Yes, it would appear that the burrial record is relating to Catherine Lewthwaite who married John Cole/Cowell/Cawell.

I too am a decendent through their son Ferdinando and then through his son Wiliam (1789-1831), William (1812-1890), Martin (1837-1886), Florence Martina Cole (1884-1928), Nellie Jackson (1909-1996), Florence Steele (1930- ), Me

I have no info on Catherine's mother or siblings so any help you could give me on these or as you mention going further back to 1550 would be most welcome.

My email address is: ih (at) howards-group.co.uk

Thanks,

Ivor
    Last edited by Jan1954; 29-02-2008 at 7:12 PM. Reason: Email address

TishIrwin

Ivor,

I'll post this here rather than reply to you by e-mail in case it is useful to anyone else. I don't know Catherine's mother's name (though see burial below) but her brothers/sisters would seem to be:
    Richard, bap. 19 May 1695 Whicham 's. of Richard Lewthwait of Myllehaw'
    Mary, bap. 28 Mar 1699 'd. of Richard Lewthwait'
    Anne, bap. 28 Dec 1701 Whicham 'd. of Richard Lewthwait'
    John, bap.10 Feb 1710 Whicham
    William, bap. 6 Dec 1711 Whicham

The first three I have checked in the parish register for Whicham. The last two are from the IGI (I'll check them in the PR next time I get a chance).

The Whicham PR also has two burials:
    Burial: 9 Jan 1728 Richard Lewthwaite of Mill How
    Burial: 5 Jun 1728 Mary Lewthwaite of Mill How

who I suspect are Catherine's parents but since no ages at death are given they could also be her brother and sister or some other Lewthwaites all together!

Going back I have Richard's ancestors as:
    Richard Lewthwaite (bap. 23 Dec 1630, Millom, no date of death) married 4 Feb 1633 at Whicham, Ann Muncaster (no dates - several candidates on IGI).
    Richard Lewthwaite (bap. 26 Jan 1603 Whicham, no date of death) married 13 July 1628 Millom, Eleanor Darracke (no dates - several candidates on IGI).
    Richard Lewthwt (bap. 3 Apr 1578 Whicham, no date of death), no info on his wife.
    Richard Lewteth (born about 1550 - probably just a guess on my part - no date of death) no info on his wife.

My descent is also Ferdinando, William, William, then from Sarah Eleanor (1852 - ?1901 sister of your Martin) who married Edward Park and their son Walter (1874-1947) was my grandfather though his daughter Bessie (1926-2004) who married Ivan James Irwin.

Hope that is useful. If anyone can help fill in the gaps, especially for the early Lewthwaites, I'd be very grateful.

Tish

norfolk white

Thumbs up

Tish,

That's great, thanks.

Ivor

TishIrwin

Ivor,

You're welcome. I'm going abroad today for seven weeks and will have limited e-mail facilities so will be out of genealogical access until the end of April.

Tish

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast