Starting to feel at home

Exclamation Charles Henry Sanders-bigomist?

Hi, I'm trying to get my head around this, and the longer I look, the more my head wants to explode. I don't want to have to buy certs for everyone.
    Here's what I have. Charles Henry Sanders(a builder b.1869 Lambeth) marries Florence Parslow(b.abt 1871 Brixton) in 1892 Lambeth. According to the census they have the following children Charles Aubrey(1892), Monna(1894), Florence Vera(1895), Lionel(1896), Violet Winifred(1900), James(1903, died 1903), Leslie(1903), Maurice Howard(1910). At this point the 1911 census has covered all the children to date, even if I can't find birth registrations for some of them.

Now we jump to Ada Sanders(b. abt 1873 Westminster) who appears on the 1901 and 1911 census showing married, but without a husband listed. 1911 says she was married 17 years previously and has had 9 children of which 2 have died. Several of the children I'm unable to find birth registrations for, while others are extremely late. They appear to be Jessie(1894), Robert(1895), Nelson(1897), Dolly or Dorothy(1899), Charles(1900), Florence(1903), Rose(1905), James(1908).

Fortunately, Nelson Sanders 1928 marriage certificate is available on Ancestry and lists his father as Charles Henry Sanders (Builder, dec). His sister Rose shows on the 1939 register with siblings Robert and two additional children born after the 1911 census, twins Mary & George born June 21 1911. Looking at Rose's birth registration provides a 1929 birth registration with the mother's surname of Parslow or Sanders and references the 1905 birth with the surname Parslow. The twins' births both appear to have been registered in 1911 with the mother's name as Parslow. There are two subsequent births of Lilian Gladys in 1913 and Eileen Alma in 1914 with the mother's maiden name of Parslow. As to which one they belong I don't know yet. The lack of birth registrations either on FreeBMD or the GRO site, makes me wonder if they were registered at all.

There doesn't appear to be a marriage registered between a Charles Henry Sanders and Ada Parslow, so it's quite possible it never actually happened. But what makes it more complicated is that I think Florence Parslow and Ada Parslow were actually sisters, daughters of Joseph Henry Parslow and Eliza Brown.

The trail becomes more difficult to follow, as to what happened next. I believe Florence may have died in 1914, but what became of Charles Henry and Ada I've yet to figure out. I think I'm going to have to order up some of the children's birth certificates, possibly the father may have reported them and there might be some corroborating evidence on them to figure out whose who and whether my theory is correct.

Okay, brain has officially exploded.

Knowledgeable and helpful

not surprized your brain exploded I agree with you that I think Ada and Florence are sisters the ages are so right and it seems a bit of a coincidence if they are not.
    I found another 4 births after 1911, George and Mary 1911 Lilian 1913, eileen 1914 only one couldnt find was Monna think might be a nickname nor Leslie
    James and Rose in 1929 are down in Freebmd as late registrations still using Parslow referring to the 1905
    as Jessie was registered as Parslow it looks like Charles was perhaps keeping a Hareem!! whether Florence knew dont suppose we will know. Ada doesnt seem to have registered all children
    not sure I have helped but i do agree with your theory
    sandie

Have you looked for the second marriage to Ada after 1914, when you think Florence died? Another point to consider is that until about 1911 it was illegal to marry a sibling of a deceased partner, although many seemed to have used some subterfuge to do so anyway. I can't think how to check the relevant act of parliament pertaining to this. I think the later act concerned deceased wife's sister ( deceased man's brother was allowed much earlier)as this situation occurred in my husband's family -after the date of the act. pwholt

Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act 1907 - Wikipedia

Peter

Famous for offering help & advice

There is an article in the West London Observer 11 Sept 1925 about the death of Lilian Gladys Sanders aged 12 of 19 Melina Road - Ada was at No. 8 Melina Road, Hammersmith in 1911 and is later in the electoral rolls at No. 19, with Nelson.

The newspaper describes Lilian's mother as the widow of a master builder.

The earliest I've found her is 1922 with Nelson & Robert at No. 19. No sign of Charles Henry

She's still there in 1933 with Florence, Rose, Robert, Mary & George, then there is a death in Hammersmith in Q4 1933 of Ada Sanders aged 61.

Starting to feel at home

Good find. I've just looked at the article and it certainly appears to the right family. Your discoveries of the electoral rolls helps to narrow down the timelines and certainly requires some further investigation.

Thank you all for your information and help.