Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help with Paulet/Pawlett family

Hello,
    I’ve been chasing an ancestor of mine for 20 years and i think we’ve finally had a breakthrough.
    Due to the fact he had an alias i’ve been searching both names and really got nowhere until I realised his convict document listed his father as William Paulet. After his transportation to Australia he only used the surname Harris, so i think we’ve mostly considered Harris as the family name in Wales. Anyway, we now know his surname is actually Pawlett and he’s slightly older than convict documents list.
    I found a baptism for William Pawlett, with father William and mother Anne. William and Anne Paulet are listed in the 1841 census with children that doesn’t include William. I found William aged 17 on his own, or so i thought but he’s actually listed with James and Elizabeth Llewhellin. i am certain this is my ancestor William as his grandson in Australia had Llewellyn as a first name. We always thought this would be a clue to finding him.
    Anne Paulet is listed as having Harris/Harries as a maiden name but i can’t find a marriage for William and Anne.
    I’ve also been trying to find if there’s a family connection between Pawlett/Paulett or Harris and Llewhellin to explain why he was with James and Elizabeth Llewhellin in 1841.on one of the comvict documents it says he has an Uncle “hughtyn” Harris of Pembroke Mountain and we’re thinking Hughty was meant to be Llewhellin but the person writing it wasn’t familiar with Welsh names, didn’t know how to spell it, tried to go phonetically and then crossed the L to make it a t by accident

Of course, i could be completely wrong about all of this. I’ve tried searching for Anne and William’s other children to find connections but they seem to come to dead ends pretty quickly.

If someone could tell me i’m barking up the wrong tree because this can’t possibly make sense that would be helpful too.

Super Moderator

When and where do you think William was born? I had a quick look on Ancestry to find his baptism and also the 1841 census but there are so many different baptisms with parents William and Ann(e), it is difficult to know which is the right one! Also I could not find any 1841 census entries although I tried various spellings.

Pawlett/Paulett/Pallett/Pollett!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    When and where do you think William was born? I had a quick look on Ancestry to find his baptism and also the 1841 census but there are so many different baptisms with parents William and Ann(e), it is difficult to know which is the right one! Also I could not find any 1841 census entries although I tried various spellings.

Pawlett/Paulett/Pallett/Pollett!!!
    Hi,

I think he was born 1823 in Haverfordwest.
    His convict documents had a range of dates from 1828 to 1831. One record said he was 16 when he was arrested, but another said he was 19. And 1823 birth would have made him about 21, so 19 isn’t far off.

I have since located the marriage of Anne and William on Ancestry but it was mistranscribed as Panlett not Paulett.

1841 census he’s William Pawlett age 17.

Super Moderator

There is a tree on Ancestry (is it yours?) Showing John (Pawlett) Llewellyn marrying Emily Jane (Llewellyn) Pawlett in 1909. In Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire.

There is a tree on Ancestry (is it yours?) Showing John (Pawlett) Llewellyn marrying Emily Jane (Llewellyn) Pawlett in 1909. In Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire.

Hi,
    No, that’s not my tree. I haven’t actually added this information to my tree as i wanted to be fairly certain it was accurate before adding it, as a lot of family members have simply copied information off my tree as if it were accurate and then shared the information on without checking with me and i was just going on a theory that i then had to change. So i found it easier not to share my theories until i was certain i was on the right track.

They are probably descendants of the other families. Unless family married family (?). Wouldn’t be the first time on my tree.

Thanks for the help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Sue, it'll be quicker to just ask you than for me to try to find the entry , but do you mean 1909, or have you made a typo and the date should be 1809?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Sue, it'll be quicker to just ask you than for me to try to find the entry , but do you mean 1909, or have you made a typo and the date should be 1809?

Pam
    It’s 1909. I looked it up and i will follow them back for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aithne View Post
    Hi,

I think he was born 1823 in Haverfordwest.
    His convict documents had a range of dates from 1828 to 1831. One record said he was 16 when he was arrested, but another said he was 19. And 1823 birth would have made him about 21, so 19 isn’t far off.

I have since located the marriage of Anne and William on Ancestry but it was mistranscribed as Panlett not Paulett.

1841 census he’s William Pawlett age 17.
    Transcriptions on Ancestry, FMP, and The Genealogist can, and do, vary, so it's always advisable to at least say where the person/family are living in the census, and I would go further and say give the census reference so that people can be sure they're looking at the same record that you are.

I use FMP and can only find one William Pawlett aged 17, living with the afore-mentioned James and Elizabeth Llewhellin, and living in Haverfordwest. (Census reference HO107/1450/2a folio 6 page 6.) However, beside all of their names is written 'n' for 'not born in county' (i.e. Pembrokeshire). And by default, this would mean not born in Haverfordwest, which is in Pembrokeshire. It is a very clearly-written 'n', and there is the possibility that the enumerator wrote 'n' by mistake against William's name. Have you found the Llewhellin's on later census to confirm their brthplaces - and possibly find out a little more about them? e.g. did they have children which will enable you to find Elizabeth's maiden name?

Pam

1841 census living in parish of Steynton. Census reference HO107/1449/22 folio 9 page 11
    William Paulet, 40, mariner
    Anne, 35,
    Jane, 19
    Anne, 14,
    Amelia, 12,
    Walter, 5,
    Elizabeth, 8 months
    All born in county.

1851 census living in parish of Steynton. Census reference HO107/2477 folio 63 page 8
    William Paulet, 51, mariner
    Anne, 50,
    Amelia, 20,
    Walter, 16,
    Elizabeth, 10
    Ellin (sic), 9.
    Anne born Freystrop, all others born Steynton.

GRO births index https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Martha Elizabeth POWLET, birth registered December quarter 1840
    Ellen POULLET, birth registered June quarter 1840
    Both Haverfordwest registration district, both mother's maiden name Harris.

I haven't gone through every page of the baptism register for Steynton, but I found Mary Ellen PANLETT baptised in 1842. Father William, a mariner.
    Amelia Pawlett, in 1829, father William, a mariner.
    William Pawlett, 12 October 1823. Father William, a mariner. (William's entry page 16 entry number 128.)
    The parish register for Steynton actually has the pages headed Stainton in the chapel of St Katherine Milford.

Marriage of William Pawlett, of this parish, mariner, and Anne Harries,spinster of this parish, married 19 November 1820 in Freystrop. Both made their mark.

All these entries available on FMP, in their Pembrokeshire baptisms/marriages datasets as appropriate.

What I haven't checked for, and what must be done, is a burial for a William between October 1823 and the 1841 census.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 24-05-2021 at 1:52 AM. Reason: Added the actual numbers to the census references.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Transcriptions on Ancestry, FMP, and The Genealogist can, and do, vary, so it's always advisable to at least say where the person/family are living in the census, and I would go further and say give the census reference so that people can be sure they're looking at the same record that you are.

I use FMP and can only find one William Pawlett aged 17, living with the afore-mentioned James and Elizabeth Llewhellin, and living in Haverfordwest. (Census reference HO107/1450/2a folio 6 page 6.) However, beside all of their names is written 'n' for 'not born in county' (i.e. Pembrokeshire). And by default, this would mean not born in Haverfordwest, which is in Pembrokeshire. It is a very clearly-written 'n', and there is the possibility that the enumerator wrote 'n' by mistake against William's name. Have you found the Llewhellin's on later census to confirm their brthplaces - and possibly find out a little more about them? e.g. did they have children which will enable you to find Elizabeth's maiden name?

Pam
    Yes, i found James and Elizabeth Llewhellin on the 1851 census, and their children’s names almost match William’s children in Australia with 1 exception. So even the naming pattern fits. It’s difficult for me to cross post with census records etc because i’m using two different devices (posting here on my phone, using Ancestry on my laptop) and i’ve using my Ancestry subscription as well as the State Library’s subscription to Ancestry to access info. The Find My Past subscription is only accessible at the library on their computer as well.
    Last edited by Aithne; 23-05-2021 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast