Default Andrew Ferguson 1784-1850

Hi,
    Could you wonderful people help solve a challenge I have.
    I am trying to find the true parents of Andrew Ferguson, born 22 September 1784 in Slamannan, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
    His parents are listed as Agnes Walker and Robert Ferguson on his birth/baptism certificate.
    I do have proof of Andrew’s parents’ marriage on the 3rd of September 1774 in Slamannan.
    They had 5 children that I am aware of Andrew, Agnes, Thomas, James and Jean.
    Andrew, their son also married an Agnes Walker on the 14 November 1814 in Mochrum, Wigtown and in 1839 Andrew and his family sailed to Adelaide, Australia on the vessel Lysander.
    I have been given an Agnes Walker born 13 July 1755 to Thomas Walker and Christian Brown in Slamannan who passed away in 1790. Her youngest daughter Jean would have been around 2 years old if this was the correct Agnes.
    The second Agnes Walker I was given was baptised 19 May 1754 in St Ninians, Stirling, Scotland to parents James Walker and Agness Pettigrew.
    For Andrew’s father I have details of a Robert Ferguson born 6 May 1750 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire and passing 9th September 1838 in Campbelltown, Argill, Scotland but honestly, I am not sure as I don’t have any proof he is connected to Andrew.
    I would grateful for any guidance as I have searched many websites and still confused.

Super Moderator

Are those photos of Andrew (born 17 Sept 1784) on Ancestry yours?

Good afternoon. In case you are wondering, I have moved your post to the General Scottish Family History Forum as it is more likely to attract Scottish researchers here.

If you look HERE, you will find information about sources for Scottish Genealogy. Many of the sources are different from those for England and Wales.

Why do you think that Agnes and Robert are not Andrew's true parents? I have had a look at the Parish Register on Scotlands People, and the baptism that you describe is correct. From the rest of your message, it sounds as though you are actually looking for his grandparents?

Be aware, birth, marriage and death certifications only started in 1855. Before that, we have to rely on the Church Registers. It helps, when trying to pinpoint the correct person, to know extra information such as occupations - start with the people you're sure of - what did Andrew and Robert do for a living?

Super Moderator

He was born on the 17th but baptised on the 22nd

no I dont have any photos of Andrew.

Thank you for directing my request for help.
    I know Agnes and Robert are Andrew's parents as I have his birth/baptism document but which Agnes and Robert are the correct parents. I dont have any birth or death details of either of his parents and when I try to find them I cannot find the correct details of Andrews parents.I have found some Agnes's which I placed in my request for help but I dont have any proof to say which one is his true parents. Agnes appears to have been a very popular name in the 1700 and 1800's. I appreciate your help

The only way is to follow the paper trails, I am afraid. Did the links in your first post come from indexes or from the actual entries in the parish registers? Scottish Ministers we’re free to enter whatever they chose when they recorded something, and they often included extra crumbs such as the father’s occupation, or even another relative. On the other hand, sometimes they left out what we would see as essential information. Examples from my own research a child whose entry includes the fact that the child was named after its grandfather, whose name was given; from my one place study, a Minister who did’t mention the bride’s name in wedding entries! It’s a bit like doing a jigsaw where you don’t have the picture, but do have a couple of extra pieces. None of your people have rare names, so you have to be careful.
    There’s a few useful tricks. It’s just a bit more word than the modern years with certificates.

Familiarize yourself with the geography - although people did usually stay within a certain region, some moved around a lot.
    Collect every crumb you can find. I find it useful at this stage to use paper, a pencil and an eraser…
    Check which records have survived for your area (GENUKI is good for that).

If, as you do, you have more than one possible couple, turn things around and try to eliminate one of them. Collect all their children with when and where they were born. Do the lists overlap? Collect info on the brothers and sisters of both parents - look at their occupations, etc. Some jobs run in families, like names. But remember that you can’t rely on a single correlation - there’s always awkward children in a family.

Remember that name spellings van vary a lot in Scotland.

Good luck!

Super Moderator

There is a tree on Ancestry but it does not give a lot of info on Andrew (although there is a lot of info on the rest of the family).

Details are:

Andrew Ferguson -m- Agnes Nancy Walker, 14 November 1814 in Mochrum, Wigstown, Scotland. (she lived 1785 - 1842)

Andrew died in Adelaide in 1850.

His parents are listed as being Robert Ferguson born 6 May 1750 in Glasgow, married Agnes Walker 3 September 1774 in Slamannan. (also has a photo of Robert)

Andrew and Agnes had three children (that is all on the system):

Alexander born Scotland 1817 Died Adelaide 5 August 1869
    William born 11 January 1819, New Luce, Wigstownshire, Scotland. Died 24 April 1880 Pt. Wakefield
    Peter Frank born 17 December 1820 New Luce, died 14 July 1907 Mirrabel (?)

The person who has the tree on Ancestry is also called Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is a tree on Ancestry but it does not give a lot of info on Andrew (although there is a lot of info on the rest of the family).

Details are:

Andrew Ferguson -m- Agnes Nancy Walker, 14 November 1814 in Mochrum, Wigstown, Scotland. (she lived 1785 - 1842)

Andrew died in Adelaide in 1850.

His parents are listed as being Robert Ferguson born 6 May 1750 in Glasgow, married Agnes Walker 3 September 1774 in Slamannan. (also has a photo of Robert)

Andrew and Agnes had three children (that is all on the system):

Alexander born Scotland 1817 Died Adelaide 5 August 1869
    William born 11 January 1819, New Luce, Wigstownshire, Scotland. Died 24 April 1880 Pt. Wakefield
    Peter Frank born 17 December 1820 New Luce, died 14 July 1907 Mirrabel (?)

The person who has the tree on Ancestry is also called Ferguson
    Thank you for your help. I appreciate it