Settling in

Default RENNISON Schoolmaster Cawood/Brayton

I have found a man called Joseph Rennison or Rennoldson or Reynoldson who was a schoolmaster at the Free Grammar School in Cawood or Brayton. I am interested in him in my ongoing search for the parents of my 3 x great grandfather John Randerson. There was a family legend that there was a schoolmaster in John's ancestry even though John was only an agricultural Labourer living in Bardsey and East Keswick in the 1841,1851 and 1861 censuses.
    I have searched everywhere for his parents and am now looking at mis-spellings/ mis-transcriptions of his surname.
    In the Brayton Parish Records there is an intriguing record of "Ann Rennoldson, eleventh[!] daughter of Joseph Rennoldson of Hammbleton in this parish Schoolmaster". She was baptised on 17th November 1808. The record also gives Joseph's parents as being from Ravenstondale in Westmoreland and his wife as being Betty Bowness of Appleby Westmoreland.
    This couple appear to have married in 1795 in London and had a couple of daughters under the name Rennison, Bridget in 1796 and Eleanor in 1798 in London.
    There is then a gap until Ann's birth in Brayton on 4 Nov 1808.
    Joseph goes on to have four more children baptised in Cawood - Bridget Eleanor, James, Joseph and Elizabeth (no birth record of her except a reference in a newspaper to her marriage to a solicitor J W Potter in Cawood in 1843 which names her father as Joseph Rennison esq of Cawood).
    I have found various references to the schoolmaster in directories etc and think he died in 1839 in Ryther.
    I am wondering where the other daughters were born and what he was doing in the decade between 1798 and 1808?

Have you noticed the Betty Rennison in the 1841 census, aged 60 (+/- 5) living in Ryther? It shows her as a farmer, and has two men in their 20s, Joseph & George Rennison,living with her.

Settling in

Thumbs up Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Have you noticed the Betty Rennison in the 1841 census, aged 60 (+/- 5) living in Ryther? It shows her as a farmer, and has two men in their 20s, Joseph & George Rennison,living with her.
    Thank you Lesley, yes I did notice her, and she is the wife of the Joseph I am interested in as the sons' names tally with the children I do have birth records for.

I didn’t look any further at the time (big deadline looming), but if she was alive in 1841, she should have a death certificate (they started in 1837 in England), or even be in the much more informative 1851…

Settling in

She died in 1849. I will consider getting PDF of death certificate from GRO. Joseph and James Rennison, the sons, also died before 1851. How can I find out what happened to the two daughters Bridget and Eleanor born in London in 1796 and 1798 respectively? They must have died in infancy as another daughter was named Bridget Eleanor. She was born in 1813 in Cawood, married William Appleyard in 1837 and lived till 1873.