Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default Policeman in India circa 1946

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi , IF I have done this correctly ! , you should be looking at a photo of Fredrick Dagger (born circa 1905 ) , in the white uniform , he retired form the police Force in India and sailed back home with his family in 1946 , Bombay - Southampton.

I believe this is a photo of him with Indian men ,I assume are part of the local Police , can anyone shed any light on where in India they were based or the general history ?

also would he have been a serving British Policeman ? trained in England ?

I know he served in the Oxford & Bucks regiment no 5373682 and was in India 1930- 1931 , 1932 .

He was married to Gladys D'souzer ( many variations of this spelling in the family !) and had several children , Fredrick , Peter and Wendy ( the line of the family I am researching )

Did he meet and Marry in India ? where the children born there ?

I have tried to give as much info as I have , sorry for all the questions .. but its all very intriguing.

as always and help or points in the right direction please .

Dean

Famous for offering help & advice

something on this page might help

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Police

great photo by the way

findmypast (FMP) has baptism records for some Dagger children born in the 1930's/40's

Familysearch has the baptisms of two sons of Frederick & Gladys Dagger, both in Bombay.

I wont name them as they may still be living, but the full DoB is given for each.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that Wimsey had already mentioned this

strangely when I asked FMP to find a marriage between Frederick Dagger and Gladys de Souza it gave me something dated 1996 - which may either be a mistake or just completely irrelevant (I don't have an FMP subscription)

A fountain of knowledge

hi All
    thanks for your help , further information i have found

Gladys Mabel De Souzer b.1916 (possibly Preston , Lanc's ) died 1991 Dover , kent
    worked as a Nurse , at Buckland hospital , Dover , kent , she was registered as Hayward , nee De souzer .
    she married Ernest Hayward 1954 , dover .

Fredrick Dagger died 1953 - Dover

with both sons being born in Bombay , can I assume the daughter Wendy P. was also born there ? she was 3 years old when they left India .

AND ! that the photo shows Bombay police ? if the boys were baptized in Bombay , they probably lived in Bombay .

The oldest boy was 10 years old on the returning ships manifest , so ,again can I assume that they were in Bombay from at least 1936 , if he was born there .?

do you agree ?
    Dean

A fountain of knowledge

hi
    in addition .. De Souzer name origin is Portuguese / west Indian ( Bombay )

did Fredrick meet Gladys in India ? was she born there , circa 1916 ?

Dean

I think the terms & conditions of this forum state that we do not name living people. The female who you have now mentioned twice, born in 1943, may well (unless you can assure us otherwise) be still living. And the same goes for the others born in the 1930's.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I think the terms & conditions of this forum state that we do not name living people. The female who you have now mentioned twice, born in 1943, may well (unless you can assure us otherwise) be still living. And the same goes for the others born in the 1930's.
    sorry, just to be clear, the daughter born 1943 has a baptism record on findmypast (FMP) for St Paul, Parel, Bombay (same as the brother born 1941). The eldest brother has a baptism record for St Patrick, Poona. There are no baptism images to look at, just transcriptions. I don't have an FMP subscription to be able to give you any more details.

A fountain of knowledge

HI WIMSEY
    Yes you are right about 'living' names , but to our knowledge all are deceased , many thanks for the information on the baptisms , especially now I have a possible district in which the family lived and worked , st Paul church , Parel .

Thanks

Dean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast