Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A fountain of knowledge

Default Policeman in India circa 1946

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi , IF I have done this correctly ! , you should be looking at a photo of Fredrick Dagger (born circa 1905 ) , in the white uniform , he retired form the police Force in India and sailed back home with his family in 1946 , Bombay - Southampton.

I believe this is a photo of him with Indian men ,I assume are part of the local Police , can anyone shed any light on where in India they were based or the general history ?

also would he have been a serving British Policeman ? trained in England ?

I know he served in the Oxford & Bucks regiment no 5373682 and was in India 1930- 1931 , 1932 .

He was married to Gladys D'souzer ( many variations of this spelling in the family !) and had several children , Fredrick , Peter and Wendy ( the line of the family I am researching )

Did he meet and Marry in India ? where the children born there ?

I have tried to give as much info as I have , sorry for all the questions .. but its all very intriguing.

as always and help or points in the right direction please .

Dean

Famous for offering help & advice

something on this page might help

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Police

great photo by the way

findmypast (FMP) has baptism records for some Dagger children born in the 1930's/40's

Familysearch has the baptisms of two sons of Frederick & Gladys Dagger, both in Bombay.

I wont name them as they may still be living, but the full DoB is given for each.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that Wimsey had already mentioned this

strangely when I asked FMP to find a marriage between Frederick Dagger and Gladys de Souza it gave me something dated 1996 - which may either be a mistake or just completely irrelevant (I don't have an FMP subscription)

A fountain of knowledge

hi All
    thanks for your help , further information i have found

Gladys Mabel De Souzer b.1916 (possibly Preston , Lanc's ) died 1991 Dover , kent
    worked as a Nurse , at Buckland hospital , Dover , kent , she was registered as Hayward , nee De souzer .
    she married Ernest Hayward 1954 , dover .

Fredrick Dagger died 1953 - Dover

with both sons being born in Bombay , can I assume the daughter Wendy P. was also born there ? she was 3 years old when they left India .

AND ! that the photo shows Bombay police ? if the boys were baptized in Bombay , they probably lived in Bombay .

The oldest boy was 10 years old on the returning ships manifest , so ,again can I assume that they were in Bombay from at least 1936 , if he was born there .?

do you agree ?
    Dean

A fountain of knowledge

hi
    in addition .. De Souzer name origin is Portuguese / west Indian ( Bombay )

did Fredrick meet Gladys in India ? was she born there , circa 1916 ?

Dean