Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2nd Dragoon Guards

My partners 3x great grandfather served in the 2nd Dragoon Guards 1806-1828. Mainly he seems to have been in Dublin, Ireland and was invalided out in 1828. He then returned to his home town of Frome, Somerset with his wife Bridget, and 3 children. My question is how do I find out what the Guards were doing during the years he was in service? I have googled them but there seems to be some missing years. I have his discharge papers but nothing else. It says he was a Chelsea pensioner. He died in 1845 I believe.
    Were would I look for information?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mol100 View Post
    My partners 3x great grandfather served in the 2nd Dragoon Guards 1806-1828. Mainly he seems to have been in Dublin, Ireland and was invalided out in 1828. He then returned to his home town of Frome, Somerset with his wife Bridget, and 3 children. My question is how do I find out what the Guards were doing during the years he was in service? I have googled them but there seems to be some missing years. I have his discharge papers but nothing else. It says he was a Chelsea pensioner. He died in 1845 I believe.
    Were would I look for information?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    My Great Grandfather was also listed as being a Chelsea Pensioner. I rang the Hospital in London to see if I could find any other information and was told that it did not necessarily mean he was at the Chelsea Hospital or registered with them. It did not necessarily mean he was actually a "Chelsea" pensioner, that's what most service men were called. He also served in Dublin but in the 1850-60's. His son, my Grandfather) was born in Kildare, he is also listed as being a Chelsea Pensioner too although, as far as I am aware, he was never in London or Chelsea, after his service he lived with his family in Rhyl, North Wales where his father had retired.

Mol100, the Chelsea service folk are divided into In-Pensioners and Out-Oensioners. The "Out" ones do not live on site, but are in recept of a military pension (I should remember how they differ from other military pensioners, I can't. The "In" pensioners should be single (ie unmarried or widowed, don't know about divorced) without financially dependent children. The reason for that is that they sign their military pensions over to the service and everything is provided for them - they are considered to be permanently on duty. If Bridget was still alive, he must have been an Out-pensioner.
    Have you seen the regiment's page on the National Army Museum site? HERE. The refer readers to the regimental Museum at Cardiff Castle HERE.

My question is how do I find out what the Guards were doing during the years he was in service?
    It ranged from
    10 Aug 1810
    On Wednesday evening, as three soldiers, belonging to the 2nd Dragoon Guards, were endeavoring to secure a deserter from the navy ...."
    to
    4 April 1814
    Late on Tuesday afternoon last a route arrived here from the detachment of the 2nd Dragoon Guards, or Queen Bays, at our barracks, to march to the headquarters, Deal, the next morning, and from thence for Portsmouth to embark and join Lord Wellington's army ....

These are from newspapers of the time.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

1806-1815 England
    1815 Belgium
    1815 France (Army of Occupation)
    1818-1828 UK

The question is muddled. What do you mean by "discharge papers"? Do you mean WO97?

Tell us his identity details so that we can have a look at the record.

Default So sorry everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    1806-1815 England
    1815 Belgium
    1818-1828 UK

The question is muddled. What do you mean by "discharge papers"? Do you mean WO97?

I am so sorry everyone for not replying!!
    His name is John Flower born 1788 in Frome, somerset. I am trying to find a timeline for him during his time in the 2nd Dragoons, and all web sites seem to be a little different and miss a whole chunk of his service. His daughter Catherine was born 1820 in Dublin. His son William was born in Coventry 1824 and his other son John was born 1822 in London. So he must have been stationed in these places I am guessing. Yes i have his discharge papers W097. He was discharged due to ill health and returned to Frome Somerset where Bridget his wife had another daughter Sarah in 1830. I have all children's baptisms so know that they belong to John and they are in the 1841 census in Frome but Bridget had died in 1840. I know nothing of the military and so am struggling a little
    Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    1806-1815 England
    1815 Belgium
    1818-1828 UK

Hi Peter where did you find this information? John Flowers daughter was born in Dublin 1820, so am assuming the 2nd Dragoons were in Ireland which is also where he was discharged from.

Your opening post mentions "... mainly he seems to have been in Ireland". What's this based on? He was recruited Shaftesbury, Dorset, 12 May 1806 and discharged Cahir Barracks, 12th October 1828. His discharge record on FMP is 2 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Your opening post mentions "... mainly he seems to have been in Ireland". What's this based on? He was recruited Shaftesbury, Dorset, 12 May 1806 and discharged Cahir Barracks, 12th October 1828. His discharge record on FMP is 2 pages.
    His daughter was born in 1820 in Dublin, so I know he was there then and then as you say he was discharged in 1828 due to ill health. He went back to Frome with Bridget and his two sons (not born in Ireland) and they had another daughter Sarah in 1830. but I do not know where Bridget comes from or her surname or even if they actually married. I am just assuming it was in Ireland.

It says he was a Chelsea pensioner. He died in 1845 I believe.
    John has 2 pension records on FMP for 1845 - both record date of death as 10th June.
    I note the 1824 Coventry baptism was a Catholic ceremony while the later 2 were Anglican. There are Catholic Parish baptismal registers for Dublin and the area on line that cover the period around Catherine's 1820 birth and also marriage registers up to 1820. There is no guarantee they would appear there and searching these records is a far from easy. They are images of microfilmed parish registers that require reading line by line, column by column, page by page - and can be almost illegible.
    If the marriage/birth was Church of Ireland it's another matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast