Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alice Sarah Craven c 1874 Stepney

Hi Folks! Yet another inquiry from a persistent researcher! I'm looking for Alice's parents. I know she was married 3 times. First on 25 Mar 1894 to James Mahoney, secondly to John Grover on 24 Jun 1905, and thirdly to Charles George Lawrence on 5 Dec 1911. I can't seem to find her with her parents on the 1881 or 1871 census. I know the father's name is George, and that the mother's maiden name MAY BE Edwards. I do certainly thank you all for the extremely helpful advice you continue to give me! Have a wonderful day!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You'd be hard pushed to find Alice in the 1871 census if she wasn't born until about 1874 but if you mean 1891, then I think she's the one aged 16, born Stepney, at RG12/296 folio 9 page 12.

For 1881 try RG11/483 folio 70 page 50.
    Indexed on FMP as Trasen, and her age (on the image) says 9. Did the enumerator misread 7 as 9 when he transgerred the details to his schedule.
    Picked this entry up because the head is George Francis Trasen, aged 46, born Whitechapel.
    Wife Ann, 45, born St George.
    Mother's maiden name of the children I checked on the GRO website is Edwards.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

Fits with a George Francis Craven marrying Ann Edwards, 13 November 1855, at St Bartholomew, Bethnal Green.
    George 22, Ann, 18. Marriage on Ancestry's London marriages dataset.

1861 census living in Stepney. Census reference RG9/297 folio 103 page 15.
    George 27, born Whitechapel, Ann, 24, born St George.

1871 census, living Mile End Old Town, census reference RG10/565 folio 51 page 2
    George, 36, born Whitechapel.
    Children match those in 1861.

Still tryinig to find him and Ann in 1891.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Think this is Ann's death registration - aged 45, March quarter 1882, Mile End Old Town registration district, which is the district they were living in the previous year at the 1881 census.

My goodness Pam, I am going to have to start paying you soon and yes I did mean 1891 i think, math was never my best subject ha ha. when you refer to RG11/483 folio 70 page 50, I'm not sure what you mean. Did I say thank you to you yet?

For more details about RG11/483 folio 70 page 50 and similar references see
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ensus-records/
    in particular section 11.

On both Ancestry and FMP if you scroll down the census search page past the name and year of birth boxes, you will see other boxes labelled 'piece number' 'folio', and 'page number'
    When using the reference numbers you don't need to type in a name - the the results automatically show all the entries on the page. Click any one, and then just look down the page for the surname you want.

It's a similar method for the 1911 census but because we can see the actual household schedules that our ancestors completed, the reference numbering is slightly different, but it's explained in the link I gave.

Meanwhile I think this is George in 1891. Still living in Mile End Old Town, census reference RG12/307 folio 112 page 45.
    He's 54, dock labourer, born Whitechapel.
    He has a new 'wife', also called Ann, though I can't find a marriage for them.
    She's 41, and she had children (stepchildren to George), Lydia MELVIN 15, Maud MELVIN 13.
    ANd there's a new son, Henry Craven aged 7. Ann and the children all born Whitechapel.

Birth registration Henry Walter CRAVEN, June quarter 1884, Bethnal Green registration district. Mother's maiden name Melvin.

Can't find birth registrations for Lydia and Maud.

Pam

Forot to add that I think this is George's death registration. No middle name, aged 57, June quarter 1893, Mile End registration district.

Pam

Growing old Disgracefully

Couls this be them in 1881 Census misstranscribed as Alce Sarah Trasen.

Household Members
    Name Age
    George Francis Trasen 46 Occ. Dock Lab.
    Ann Trasen 45
    John Edward Trasen 14
    Samuel Lewis Trasen 14
    Mary Amelia Trasen 11
    Alce Sarah Trasen 9

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Couls this be them in 1881 Census misstranscribed as Alce Sarah Trasen.

Household Members
    Name Age
    George Francis Trasen 46 Occ. Dock Lab.
    Ann Trasen 45
    John Edward Trasen 14
    Samuel Lewis Trasen 14
    Mary Amelia Trasen 11
    Alce Sarah Trasen 9
    sorry pam has already given you this

I've found John and Alice Craven in 1841 also birth records for George and Dinah. I wonder how I would go about searching for John c 1796 born in Germany. Did they keep immigration records back then?

That's alright, thanks anyway, Sandyhall!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast