Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lightbulb Thomas Burrows 1765

i am trying to trace a Thomas burrows anchestry state that he was born in 1760 in elm cambridgeshire now have death cert born date 1765 he married Racheal Clements in elm in 1787 which i found to be true but on NFL film ,It would seem that they lived in the town of march where all there children were born but that's as far back as i can get so need help if possible

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    First of all I have moved your post to the Cambridgeshire forum and it has the title Thomas Burrows 1765. It should receive more attention there.
    When you say you have Thomas' birth certificate I presume you mean a record of his baptism as birth, marriage and death registrations didn't come in until 1837. Can you tell us the source of his baptism and marriage? Below is your Thomas on the 1841 census?
    HO107 piece 81 book 12 Folio 13 Page 20
    March, Doddington
    Thomas Burrows 75 Ag lab. born in county? Yes
    Rachel Burrows 77 born in county? Yes
    George Burrows 13 born in county? NO
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

From Free Reg:-
    Marriage. 16 Oct 1787. Thomas Burrows (bachelor)/ Rachael Clement(spinster). All Saints. Elm. Cambs. Witnesses- Luke Clement/William Baldock.

From GRO Index:-
    Death. Thomas Burrows. Sep Q 1842. North Witchford. Age 77. (Doddington in North Witchford Reg district)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    From GRO Index:-
    Death. Thomas Burrows. Sep Q 1842. North Witchford. Age 77. (Doddington in North Witchford Reg district)
    yes thanks have death cert that made him born 1765 not 60 but still no joy as to were born born not registered in elm still trying too trace

Quote Originally Posted by brihaz View Post
    yes thanks have death cert that made him born 1765 not 60 but still no joy as to were born born not registered in elm still trying too trace
    Remember the age recorded on the death certificate is from information provided by the informant who may, or may not, be in possession of the true facts. It is not unknown for individuals to be uncertain of their own exact age, so allow a generous time frame when looking for a baptismal date. Also, while it was normal for a child to be baptised within a short time of birth, delayed baptisms of a number of years are not unknown.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

i had some of that was hoping for his fathers name to try and find more info about them not yet found how to use the film no it would seem that they lived in march as it appears that all there children were born there ,I cant find any burrows in elm apart from there marriage so assume born else where ??

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

thanks for that i realize that at that time it was quiet common have found that in latter parts of the family , and as most were laborer's moved around a lot so difficult it would appeared that a lot of family came from march but cant be sure any suggestions

Super Moderator

Have your looked at other spellings: Burroughs, Buroughs etc? As far as I know, at that time, names were not written by the actual informant (few could probably write anyway) but written by the registrar, vicar etc. So they may not have spelt the name as you know it.

Super Moderator

Trying to find George as it states on the 1841 census that he was not born in the county of Cambridgeshire. Looking on Family Search the only one I can find so far was born in Staffordshire, but I don't think this is the right one, although he did have parents Thomas and Rachel! Think I may have found him on the 1851 Born in Leverington, Cambs. Residence in Whittlesea Road, March, nephew to John Reynolds. George is listed as being a cabinet maker/journeyman. John Raynolds wife is Susan born in March, abt 1811. Could she be a sister of Thomas? There is a Susan Burrows on the 1841, living with John, a carpenter age 20 and George age 1 in Leverington. I am probably getting you in a muddle here!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast