Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Arsenic poisoning case of Jessie Llewellyn

Having discovered some old family letters which refer to a case of arsenic poisoning in the family I've managed to track down a few details about the person concerned. I know her parents were called David and Ann Jones. Jessie was born in July 1875 in Merthyr Tydfil. When she died in 1928 she was married and living in LLanelli with the surname Llewellyn. A Dr Wilcox was brought in from the home office to investigate the case and concluded she had died from arsenic derived from her sea food diet. I have tried to trace a marriage for her and thought I had hit upon the right one to a John Llewellyn, listed in Merthyr in July/Aug/Sept 1907 however when I ordered the certificate from the GRO (Vol lla 1247) although both names were listed on the page they were not married to each other. Since then I have been unable to find out who her husband was other than his surname. Can anybody help?

Brick wall demolition expert!

According to the Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail 27 July 1928 he was Joseph, a contractor who was a lot older than her.

She had a step daughter called Eunice Llewelyn who she did not appear to get on with. Reading between the lines I would guess that Jessie married between 1920 and 1926.

You can find the article on either the British Newspaper Archive or Findmypast.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have done a quick marriage search in the 1920s, and cannot see one between Jessie Jones and Joseph Llewelyn.

Did Jesse have another name?

Was Jesse married previously?

There is a marriage in 1925 at Carmarthen between a Jesse Murray and a Joseph Llewelyn, and then backtracking there was a marriage in 1910 between a Jesse Jones and a William F Murray at Pontypridd.

Famous for offering help & advice

Western Mail 14 July 1928 gives a few more details that seem to tie in with Megan’s suggestion. The report says that Jessie was 53 and a native of Merthyr, and went to Llanelly 7 or 8 years ago as a milliner – she was then a widow named Jessie Murray. Afterwards she started a business on her own account as a draper & milliner. Three years ago (ie 1925) she married Joseph Llewellyn who, as well as being a builder & contractor, was also a deacon at the Tabernacle Congregational Church.

The same paper on 17 July 1928 reports that during the previous few months Joseph’s employees had been building a substantial new home for them at Tyrfran, to enable Jessie to benefit from a higher altitude. It was completed two months ago but the family had never moved in due to the state of Jessie’s health.

ADDED: Quite a few of the reports carry photographs of both Joseph & Jessie.

ALSO ADDED: Stepson was named as Dr Harry Llewellyn, although I think he was actually Henry Davies Llewellyn & that Eunice was Mary Eunice and the family can be found in 1911 at Brynycaerau Terrace, Llanelly - RG14 Piece 32847 Schedule 257

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow thank you for all this info. It's been really useful