Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Information about National Service.

My late husband (John Murdo MacLEOD)served in the National Service with British Army from probably 1946-8. I have a photo of his full troop taken in Folkestone but am not sure of his battalion's name. He told me he served on the heavy guns at Dover, and later was involved in putting down insurgents in Malaya. He trained at Fort George in Inverness.
    He was born in Inverness, Scotland in July 1926, and was on his way by ship to Malaya around his 21st birthday in 1946/7. Any information would be gratefully received.
    I have downloaded information on the Malayan campaign from the Army Review. I wish to apply for his army service records but have not many details to fill in. Ruth MacLEOD (in Australia)

Hi Ruth
    To apply for your late husband's service records you do not need a regiment or service number. YOu only need to provide his date of birth and a copy of his death certificate
    This "sticky" explains and gives the link where you can download the application forms. Unfortunately there is a long wait at this time until you receive them.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs