Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Elizabeth Porter

Hello everyone,

I've begun work on my direct maternal line after some unintentional negligence. However as usual I'm not seeing very much success. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated concerning my fifth great grandmother, Elizabeth Porter:

I would like to attempt to find Elizabeth's parents and hopefully grandparents, but I know nothing about her except for her husband and only *known* daughter. Her husband was named Richard Capper, born about 1808 in Cuddington, Northwich, Cheshire, and Richard passed away in 1871. The two married in the year 1830 in Manchester. Their daughter, Ann Porter Capper, was born about 1831 in Stockport and she passed away in 1888 in Stockport. I can't find any other children which leads me to believe Elizabeth passed young, but I'm not entirely sure. Thankyou for taking the time to read

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Richard is a widower in the 1861 census when he's living with his widowed daughter, Ann Cawley, in Gorton.

The GRO site has the death registration of an Elizabeth Capper, aged 39, Manchester registration district, December quarter 1840.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    If you can't find her in the 1841 census, it might be worth investing a few pounds (can't remember if it's six or seven) to see if it's your Elizabeth. (Remember when searching the 1841 census ages for people over 15 were supposed to be rounded-down to the nearest 5. i.e. if they were 28, then their age should have been shown as 25.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

that 1830 marriage gets a small notice in the Manchester Mercury newspaper where "Miss Porter" is said to be "of Uttoxeter" - a town in Staffordshire

a John Porter Capper born about 1835/6, son of Richard Capper, married in 1879 and died 1908

Growing old Disgracefully

1841 census has a Elizabeth Capper Servant age 34

Name Elizabeth Capper
    Age 34
    Estimated Birth Year 1807
    Gender Female
    Where born Lancashire, England
    Civil parish Liverpool
    Hundred Liverpool
    County/Island Lancashire
    Country England
    Registration district Liverpool
    Sub-registration district Islington
    Neighbors View others on page
    Piece 558
    Book 8
    Folio 20
    Page number 33
    Household Members
    Household Members
    Name Age
    Mary Archer 38
    Wm Pearson 25
    Thos Shaw 25
    Wm Atherton 25
    Sarah Jones 22
    Elizabeth Capper 34

also 1851 Sample census
    Name Elizabeth Capper
    Address Rowe Court, East Sto
    Enumeration District East Stonehouse
    County Devonshire
    Birth Place Manchester, Lancashire, England
    Age 34
    Gender Female
    Relationship Head
    Marriage Status Widow
    Occupation Dress Maker

Growing old Disgracefully

marriage was by Licence on Family search

Following the Uttoxeter link, there is an Elizabeth Porter bp 1809 Marchington, parents William and Hannah.
    On the memorial inscription for William Porter and family at St John's church Marchington (ref A108 on the Wishful Thinking website)included is daughter Elizabeth Capper died 26 January 1838 age 28.

There is an obituary for this Elizabeth in the Birmingham Post.
    At Camp hill, Elizabeth wife of Mr Capper of a lingering consumption borne with great fortitude
    No forename for the husband and in Birmingham I guess, so not necessarily the correct family

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    There is an obituary for this Elizabeth in the Birmingham Post.
    At Camp hill, Elizabeth wife of Mr Capper of a lingering consumption borne with great fortitude
    No forename for the husband and in Birmingham I guess, so not necessarily the correct family
    the John Porter Capper I mentioned in message #3 has a Birmingham birthplace

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    a John Porter Capper born about 1835/6, son of Richard Capper, married in 1879 and died 1908
    He also married in 1863 to Mary Harley at Ashted, John has been indexed John COPPER. On both marriage certificates, his father Richard is a draper.
    Alma

Wow! Everyone here is so wonderful, thankyou all for all of the help so far. Let me know your opinions on this, taking into account the information you all provided, I'm just attempting to piece it together:

So Elizabeth Porter was probably born in the Marchington/Uttoxeter area, and she somehow met Richard Capper and they married in Manchester in 1830. Their first child was Ann Porter Capper (b. 1831 Stockport), and by the birth of John Porter Capper (b. 1835/6, somewhere near Birmingham?) they probably had been living or visiting the Uttoxeter area. The profession "Draper" for Richard Capper in John Porter Capper's marriage bann in 1879 matches the profession of the same Richard Capper in the 1871 census with his daughter and grand-daughter in Stockport, so I think this is the correct family. I'm only not certain on the death of Elizabeth Porter, only that she either died 1840 in Manchester OR in 1838 in the city of Birmingham. I assume sometime after the death of Elizabeth Porter, Richard moved back to Stockport with his daughter, but I'm not so sure about John Porter Capper

Quote Originally Posted by danile View Post
    Wow! Everyone here is so wonderful, thankyou all for all of the help so far. Let me know your opinions on this, taking into account the information you all provided, I'm just attempting to piece it together:

So Elizabeth Porter was probably born in the Marchington/Uttoxeter area, and she somehow met Richard Capper and they married in Manchester in 1830. Their first child was Ann Porter Capper (b. 1831 Stockport), and by the birth of John Porter Capper (b. 1835/6, somewhere near Birmingham?) they probably had been living or visiting the Uttoxeter area. The profession "Draper" for Richard Capper in John Porter Capper's marriage bann in 1879 matches the profession of the same Richard Capper in the 1871 census with his daughter and grand-daughter in Stockport, so I think this is the correct family. I'm only not certain on the death of Elizabeth Porter, only that she either died 1840 in Manchester OR in 1838 in the city of Birmingham. I assume sometime after the death of Elizabeth Porter, Richard moved back to Stockport with his daughter, but I'm not so sure about John Porter Capper
    Hello again
    I think the 1838 Birmingham death is the more likely as it fits in with the details of the 28 yr old Elizabeth Capper on the Porter memorial tablet in Marchington, and with the birth of John Porter Capper in Birmingham.
    Also in the 1881 census John P Capper a provisions dealer in Yardley, gives his place of birth as Camp Hill Birmingham. The 1838 death notice on the newspaper for Elizabeth Capper also gives an address as Camp Hill.
    However to be sure you would really need to get the death certificate from the GRO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast