Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Confirmation of correct death

Hi everyone,

How can I confirm a death relates to my ancestor in the early part of 1900’s? Currently, there are about four possibilities, all are plausible. Do death certificates give the name of the person registering the death, for example? How do other people, with very limited background knowledge, confirm they have found the correct death?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Jenny, yes the person who was present at the death is mentioned on the certificate, but it may not be a relative.

Famous for offering help & advice

There are a few things to bear in mind:

When ordering a death certificate you can specify extra information that should be checked, such as residence or occupation, and they won't issue the certificate unless it matches. You pay a bit extra for this if ordering from the GRO (it seems to come under orders where you don't know the reference number), and they retain part of the fee if the search is unsuccessful. However, if your criteria are too specific you might get a non-match if the certificate doesn't match exactly.

If you're ordering from a local register office I've often found them willing to discuss possible matches over the phone, and they don't charge extra.

The death certificate of a married or widowed woman would usually give the name of her husband, so that's another thing that could be checked against.

It's always worth checking the probate index, as the person may have left a will, or if not, there may have been an administration of the estate. The index gives the deceased person's address and the name of one or more executors or administrators, and any of these details might help you to identify the right person. You can access the indexes (and order copies of wills) at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills - the indexes are also available at Ancestry and FindMyPast.

You might find useful clues via memorial inscriptions - see sites such as Deceased Online, Findagrave and Billion Graves. The information from some of these is also available on Ancestry, FindMyPast etc.

Also check for announcements in newspapers - the British Newspaper Archive is the main site for these, but as it's part of the same company as FindMyPast you get to see them there too.

If you want to tell us your ancestor's name, I'm sure people here would be happy to take a look and try to suggest which death they think is most likely - but I also understand the feeling of wanting to do it on your own.

Thank you for replying, I will bear that in mind.

Thank you Arthur, some good advise to follow. I believe my family were as poor as Church mice so I won’t begin with looking for probate!
    The name I am researching is Sarah Ann Clarke - often with an e but not always.
    Complications - I don’t believe she was actually married, but lived as a common law wife.
    I do know she was born in Maidstone in 1846 - Sarah Ann May.
    She met my Grandfather, who went AWOL from the military at Chatham, to be with Sarah Ann. As they were frightened of being found, they used a fictitious surname Clarke. My grandfather used the first name William to avoid detection.
    They both appear on 1911 census, along with two of their sons, Abraham and Edward. Abraham completed the census form but the name Sarah Ann was poorly written and has been transcribed as Susan. They lived in Birmingham, I believe in the Kings Norton registration district. I may be able to find out more when the 1922 census is available.
    Just in case you are going stir crazy in lockdown, you are welcome to have a look around.
    Again, thank you for your tips and advice.

A good idea, thank you Pam.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JennyOS View Post
    Thank you Arthur, some good advise to follow. I believe my family were as poor as Church mice so I won’t begin with looking for probate!
    Complications - I don’t believe she was actually married, but lived as a common law wife.
    She met my Grandfather, who went AWOL from the military at Chatham, to be with Sarah Ann. As they were frightened of being found, they used a fictitious surname Clarke. My grandfather used the first name William to avoid detection.
    They both appear on 1911 census, along with two of their sons, Abraham and Edward. Abraham completed the census form but the name Sarah Ann was poorly written and has been transcribed as Susan. They lived in Birmingham, I believe in the Kings Norton registration district. I may be able to find out more when the 1922 census is available.
    Just in case you are going stir crazy in lockdown, you are welcome to have a look around.
    Is this Sarah Ann on the 1851 census with father George May, mother Ann. Brothers George, William and Edward and sister's Amelia and Charlotte? Living in Cavendish Street, Maidstone, George Snr. is listed as being a Gardener.

Super Moderator

Found Them on the 1901 census living in 3 house.1 Ct. Dugdale St. Rotton Park, Birmingham. William listed as being a Gas Labourer, Sara A (born Maidstone, Kent), children: John age 25, Edward age 17, Lizzie age 15, Millie age 13, Charlie age 11. (All name of Clark without the e)

By the way you thought that on the 1911 census they lived in the King's Norton area. Well they actually lived in Ladywood, although it is transcribed as Lady Woon on the census. Ladywood is not too far from the city centre of Birmingham. King's Norton probably would have been Staffordshire in 1911. Not too sure though. Also the census states that William and Sarah had been married for 42 years, they had 13 children, 6 living and 7 who had died. The five on the 1901 plus Abraham would be 6. I think I found Abraham on the 1939 register but not sure it was the right one. Will now look for previous census returns.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JennyOS View Post

There they are on the 1891 census too: 3/13 Blews Street West, All Saints, Birmingham. (Probably a back house again, All Saints not far from Ladywood in Birmingham).William Clark - Gas Stoker, Sarah A, children: George, John, Ellen, Abraham, Edward, Elizabeth, Amelia, Charley. Do you think I am looking at the right ones?

Yes, that is the correct family Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast