Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I am now about to throw a rather large curveball into this.

1891 census (i.e. prior to Alfred's birth.)
    Census reference RG12/265 folio 124 page 6
    Civil parish of Bethnal Green, ecclesiastical parish St Bartholomew
    124 Brady Street
    Alfred Reynolds
    Eliza, wife,
    Ada, daur, 10,
    No ages, place of birth, or occupation given, except for Ada aged 10.

Ancestry London baptisms.
    St Bartholomew's, Bethnal Green, 1 March 1893
    Alfred, son of Alfred and Eliza Reynolds, 124 Brady Street. Father's occupation, baker.

1901 census (i.e. after Alfred's birth)
    Census reference RG13/290 folio 34 page 5
    Civil parish of Bethnal Green, ecclesiastical parish St Bartholomew
    124 Brady Street
    Alfred Reynolds, 51, baker, Essex
    Eliza, wife, 49, mangling, Middx
    Ada, daur, 20, house work, Middx. Noted as blind from birth.

1911, aged 57 census
    Census reference RG14/1434 SN135
    124 Brady Street, Bethnal Green
    Alfred Reynolds, 60, widower, baker, Essex
    Ada, daur, 30, house work, London. Noted as blind from birth.
    Also noted (though crossed through) Alfred said he'd been married 40 years, and he'd had 5 children, 2 of whom had died.

Possible death registration for Eliza - Eliza Hunt REYNOLDS, aged 57, December quarter 1909, Bethnal Green registration district.
    Would fit birth registration of Eliza Hunt BRETT, June quarter 1852, Bethnal Green registration district.

Going further back with the census for Alfred senior and Eliza.

Census reference RG11/506 folio 126 page 60
    3 Sidney Street, civil parish of All Saints Poplar
    Alfred Reynolds, 32, milkman, born Essex
    Eliza, wife, 30, Hackney
    Eliza A, daur, 10, Hackney
    next page
    Alice M, daur, 7, Poplar
    Florence L, daur, 5, Poplar
    Ada E, daur, Poplar

Birth registrations:
    Eliza Ann - September quarter 1871, Bethnal Green registration district, mother's maiden name Brett
    Alice Maria - December quarter 1874, Poplar registration district, mother's maiden name Brett
    Florence Louisa - March quarter 1877, Poplar registration district, mother's maiden name Brett
    Ada Hetty - December quarter 1880, Poplar registration district, mother's maiden name Hunt

Think Ada Hetty is the Ada E in the 1881 census with the H being dropped from the name, e.g. (H)Etty.
    Ancestry have a marriage of Ada Hetty Reynolds, aged 33, father Alfred Reynolds, baker, in 1914 to Samuel Mumford.
    At a time when most people could at least sign their name even if their general spelling was suspect, it's telling that Ada just made her mark in the PR - confirmation of her blindness as stated in the census records?

Baptisms (on Ancestry)
    All at St Saviour, Poplar.
    13 March 1879, Beatrice Hetty, daughter of Alfred and Eliza Reynolds, 13 Cotall Street. Father's occupation, milkman. Beatrice born 13 January 1879.
    13 May 1881, Eliza Ann, daughter of Alfred and Eliza Hunt Reynolds, 86 Sidney Street. Father's occupation, milkman. Eliza born 8 June 1871.
    13 May 1881, Ada Hetty, daughter of Alfred and Eliza Hunt Reynolds, 86 Sidney Street. Father's occupation, milkman. Ada born 12 November 1880.

Beatrice Hetty died shortly after being baptised as her death is registered March quarter 1879, Poplar registration district. Her birth was registered same quarter, same registration district, but no mother's maiden name is given in the GRO's 'new' index.

Marriage March quarter 1871, Bethnal Green registration district, Alfred Reynolds and Eliza Brett on the same page. Annoyingly, not in Ancestry's London marriages.

1871 census
    Can't find Alfred and Eliza in 1871, though they should be easy to spot considering they married only a few weeks before the census.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Going to keep this post separate from the previous one because it initially involves different people.

Birth registration March quarter 1893 Bethnal Green registration district, Alfred Reynolds. mother's maiden name, Griffiths.

This would fit with the marriage of Alfred Reynolds to Sarah Ann Griffiths, St John's, Bethnal Green on 8 January 1893. (Available on Ancestry.)
    However, in the 1901 census, (census refErence RG13/294 folio 142 page 23) Alfred and Sara, have a son, Arthur A, aged 6. Birth registration of an Arthur ALbert Reynolds, September quarter 1894, Bethnal reen registration district, mother's maiden name, Griffiths.

Meanwhile, there are two death registrations for Alfred Reynolds, both aged less than a year, both in Bethnal Green registration district, but on different, though consecutive, pages, in March quarter 1893.

Then you have to throw into the mix that there is a schools admission record for Alfred Reynolds, birth date 7 February 1893 joining Wilmot Street school in 1903. Address 124 Brady Street, parent/guardian's name Peter - no surname actually written. Was Alfred temporarily living in Brady Street? (I have a record of a cousin living with granny and going to the school at the top of the road for about a fortnight.)

I was going to say that it's even more confusing in the 1911 census entry when it says Alfred Reynolds is Alice Cracknell's stepson, but I have just noticed one very important thing. The schedule has been signed by P Cracknell - and Alfred would be a stepson to Peter.

My head is now hurting , so I'm going to leave it there.
    However I do think that the 1893 birth and at least one of the death certificates for Alfred Reynolds needs purchasing.

Pam

I have now had a chance to look at the CWGC information about the cemetery that Pte Reynolds was buried in. There’s only one group of men who died 1917, originally buried in a mini-cemetery called Pheasant Trench Cemetery (after the farm whose land was used) which included 14 UK soldiers who died in 1917.

7 of the 11 soldiers mentioned on Reynolds’ CWGC page were from the London Regt, DOD only known for 4, all Oct 1917, so it looks like a group died together. The War Diaries for the Regiment may mention something…..

Marriage March quarter 1871, Bethnal Green registration district, Alfred Reynolds and Eliza Brett on the same page. Annoyingly, not in Ancestry's London marriages.
    Here's the marriage, Pam, mistranscribed as 1870.

St James the Great, Feb 26th 1871.
    Alfred Reynolds full age, bachelor, baker, father Isaac Reynolds a gardener.
    Eliza Brett full age, spinster, father Arthur Brett, deceased
    Witnesses W Greenleaf, Ann Brett.

It is Isaac Reynolds I refer to at #7 as the common ancestor, he appears to be the grandfather of Alice Maria Reynolds and Peter Cracknell, however, I didn't take it further and post what Id found as Trinity says at #8 she's aware of the relationship.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Here's the marriage, Pam, mistranscribed as 1870.

St James the Great, Feb 26th 1871.
    Alfred Reynolds full age, bachelor, baker, father Isaac Reynolds a gardener.
    Eliza Brett full age, spinster, father Arthur Brett, deceased
    Witnesses W Greenleaf, Ann Brett.

It is Isaac Reynolds I refer to at #7 as the common ancestor, he appears to be the grandfather of Alice Maria Reynolds and Peter Cracknell, however, I didn't take it further and post what Id found as Trinity says at #8 she's aware of the relationship.
    Thanks for that marriage, Alma.

I've just realised that I never looked further back in the trees on Ancestry. Might have saved myself a lot of time and trouble if I had done. (One of these days I'll learn!)

Pam

Hi Alma, Lesley and Pam

Wow what can I say, This site is extremely helpful thank you so much.

I’m now reading and digesting all the information that you all have kindly found and transcribed for me. I do have a fair few of these names in my tree but you have now confirmed what I have been thinking and much more so thank you so much Although my ancestor Alfred is shown on the baptism as being the son of Alfred and Eliza Reynolds I do believe he is the illegitimate son of Alice nee Reynolds and stepson of Peter Cracknell. On the 1901 census Alfred is aged 8 and shown as Alfred Cracknell, therefore Pam I think you are correct regarding the latter in your message#12 re school admissions.

Re certificates as well as a birth record for Alfred I was thinking of ordering the marriage certificate too ��.

Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A little bit extra from the medal award rolls, rather than the index cards.

Served in France/Flanders with the 17th London Regiment 17 July 1917 - 5 Aug 1917, and then the 8th London Regiment (Posted)6 Aug 1917 - 30 Oct 1917, when presumed dead.

There is also a Red Cross/PoW card for him on Find my Past which was basically the Red Cross asking if he was in a PoW camp. The card confirms his name, regiment & number & that he was missing from 30 October 1917. The contact details were Mrs Reynolds (wife) 69 Brady Street, Bethnal Green. The card is stamped Negative and there is a hand-written date of 16.8.18

Apologies Jomot I’ve just been reading through all these posts to my original request and missed your post regarding the medals and wanted to thank you for your time and the additional information.

Trinity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12