Default Hello from America....help needed

Hello everyone! Thank you in advance for this great forum! I had some questions about the General Registration Office. I found some great things on findmypast.com, although when i come across a civil birth or marriage document, it gives me a list with the GRO number. What kind of information will i get from these documents? Is there anyway to get a copy without buying from the GRO. I tried to purchase a document, but my card will not make an international purchase. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Tim

Brick wall demolition expert!

You can purchase birth marriage and death certificates from third party providers such as Ancestry, but this will be much more expensive.

The link below takes you to the GRO website page entitled "Frequently Asked Questions", and this tells you what information you can find on each certificate, as well as the costs.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faq.asp

If your card wont let you make international purchases have you thought of contacting your card provider to ask them why, and see if you can get it changed? I know that over here card providers are likely to flag as suspect any purchases that don't follow the normal pattern, so if I am travelling overseas, I give them a call first of all and say I will be in countries A, B and C so don't worry if you see purchases there.

Growing old Disgracefully

What kind of information will i get from these documents?

Birth Cert. will have - date of Birth, where born, Mother's maden name Fathers Name (If parents haven't married) There will be no fathers name.

Marriage Cert will have - Both parties names, Fathers name, the persons staits(widow for example)

Give some details of who you are looking for and we can see if we can help you

It’s worth mentioning that this is all true for England and Wales. Scotland is different - for example, mothers are named on marriage certificates, unmarried fathers can be on birth certiciates if both parents turn up to register the baby. Anyone wanting data for Scots should look at the top of the General Scottish Forum.

Thank you so much!! This was extremely helpful.....I am helping a friend with her family tree, and it led me to ancestry.com where i could actually see most of the parish records! Your advice is MUCH appreciated!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by tim-timothy View Post
    Hello everyone! Thank you in advance for this great forum! I had some questions about the General Registration Office. I found some great things on findmypast.com, although when i come across a civil birth or marriage document, it gives me a list with the GRO number. What kind of information will i get from these documents? Is there anyway to get a copy without buying from the GRO. I tried to purchase a document, but my card will not make an international purchase. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Tim
    There are examples of various types of certificates on my website at
    https://anguline.co.uk/cert/certificates.htm these include certificates from England & Wales and Scotland. There are also examples of many of types of official documents useful for family history, including two examples of inaccurate records.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.