Loves to help with queries

Default IRELAND TO INDIA MID-1800s

I have a great-great-uncle James Joseph McMullen born in Antrim, Northern Ireland 30 Jan 1831. He was married in 1851 in Dublin to Catherine Duff but soon after in same year both of them went to India. I have done a bit of reading trying to find what was happening in India at that time and why he went and see there was rebellions going on.
    Nothing more until I found a death record for him 3 Sep 1864, West Bengal and a burial record for same date in Lucknow. I would like to find a grave for him but have had no luck as yet tracking him down. He was Roman Catholic.
    His wife remarried in October 1865 in India to Joseph Smith and came back to England soon after.
    Any more information on James would be appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

FMP (Findmypast) has the image of the burial record saying he died in a cholera epidemic, which would explain why he was buried the day he died. It says he was a private in the 88th Regiment of Foot. As with others on the same page, under the date of death it says "In the Qonao District (Mugurwara)" - whether that means the burial place I don't know.

On the FIBIS website (Families in British India) it says he is on the medal roll for the Indian Mutiny (1857-9). It calls the 88th Regiment the Connaught Rangers.

wikipedia says the 88th regiment were in India 1857-70 and in the Crimea 1854-6.

Thank you so much Wimsey for the information. Very grateful for your help.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by daisynook View Post
    Thank you so much Wimsey for the information. Very grateful for your help.
    you're welcome. I should have mentioned that neither the burial record nor the FIBIS record give him a middle name - so I hope we are talking about the correct person.

To tell you the truth I'm not 100% sure as some places he has the Joseph but majority of places he's just plain James McMullen.