Thread: Help please

Default Help please

Hi, I am researching my family tree and have hit a brick wall looking into my husbands Grandfathers military history.

He didn't speak about his time serving in WW2 and was quite sick when he returned from action with severe respiratory problems.

His name was Herbert Henry Hall and he was born in 1920. He served with the Somerset Light infantry as a private and also was a press operator at the Woolwich arsenal. His service number is written on my father in laws birth certificate but its hard to read - it could be 6852185 or 6882185.

Ive tried to get his service history and had a good look on the web but I can't find a definite person. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Tried the National Archives? It took me less than a minute to find the answer -

National Archives home page...Help with your research...Second World War...Army...British Army soldiers in service after 1918. Then we find

Service records, 1920–present

Visit the GOV.UK website for information about how to request a summary of a service record from the Ministry of Defence (MOD). These are available to next of kin and members of the general public on request to the MOD, provided the subject is no longer living. An administrative fee applies.

To help you out, here's the url
    https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Give me a moment and I'll look out some information on civilian employees of the Royal Arsenal.

Reputation beyond repute

I said I'd dig out something on civilian employees of the Woolwich Arsenal (I also have an interest).

Unfortunately the bookmark I have doesn't work any more. I've written to the National Archives to ask what's going on. I'll let you know if I get a useful reply.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

The Somerset Light Infantry had numbers from 5,662,001 - 5,718,000
    The King's Royal Rifle Corps had the numbers 6,837,001 - 6,905,000
    These numbers were allocated between 1920 - 1942
    In 1942 the 'General Service Corps' were formed for the initial training of all new recruits. From then on the new recruits were allocated a number in a series beginning 14,000,000
    Keith

Hi Peter, thanks of such a quick reply. I should have added in my initial post that I have applied for his records twice using the gov.uk, but the cheque keeps coming back but no explanation why.

Thank you Keith

Re #5. Did you fill in the forms and send a copy of his death certificate with your cheque? The other thing they ask for is birthdate…

They should say if they can’t find anything… did you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Re #5. Did you fill in the forms and send a copy of his death certificate with your cheque? The other thing they ask for is birthdate…

They should say if they can’t find anything… did you ask?
    sent all the required info but nothing to say why it was al returned. I think they are closed which doesn't help. I have phoned and emailed them too