Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony@1 View Post
    Thank you for all the checks you have done, sorry for not getting back to you earlier. John and Catherine came to Australia in 1849 along with some children from John's first marriage with Isabella Bates and Mary Buchanan Bushby was born well after Isabella's death so assume Catherine Buchanan was her mother. John and Catherine arrived is South Australia, listed on the ship's register as Mr & Mrs Bushby, both subsequently dying in Adelaide South Australia. Mary Buchanan Adey (nee Bushby)married at the home of John and Catherine in South Australia. Any help with clarifying the UK side of this family is greatly appreciated as this in my direct ancestry line.
    Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    years transportation.
    The Stebonheath arrived South Australia May 1848 and the passenger list published in the South Australian Register reads "Margaret Bushby, John Bushby wife and 3 children".
    Looks like there might be two John Bushby's, though with one allegedly married to a Margaret, rather than both married to Catherine's.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I puzzled over the "Margaret Bushby". The item is strangely worded. I wondered if Margaret referred to the daughter?
    Familysearch has a record of the arrival but the wording reflects the newspaper article. I recall Familysearch has records based on a trawl through Trove records rather than the actual ship's manifest (but this of course could be another senior moment!!). Was hoping the poster could clarify.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

I had a look earlier at the lists on one of the SA websites, forget which one. Catherine was named as Mrs Bushby (no name).The three children were Janet, Mary Buchanan and William. Margaret was described as Miss Margaret Bushby 19, so I think she is a grown up daughter. William was actually described as farmer age 16. The other two girls described as child.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I agree with your thoughts on the passenger list, Miss Margaret, Janet and William were children of John's first marriage to Isabella Bates. Mary Buchanan Bushby was born Circa 1843 in Ayrshire, Scotland. Do you think there is a way to seek out a birth certificate for Mary?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I will take all your helpful suggestions and do some more digging. Having spoken to my mother many years ago I recall she told me the "Buchanan" as part of her christian name was to carry on the "family" name which had been given to her grandmother to maintain my mother's great-grandmothers family name. ( I think that makes sense?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12