Default Daily Wounded Lists

Hello,

I'm doing some research that involves the 'Daily Wounded Lists' which have taken me beyond the 11-Nov-1918 armistice. I'm amazed at how many soldiers are still being listed as wounded several weeks after the armistice and was wondering why? I have no doubt that the battlefields were still a very dangerous place to be, with unexploded ordnance etc. everywhere but even so the numbers seem incredibly high? Appreciate thoughts on this... TIA.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Spanish Flu?

Good point.
    And wounds. Many would have been too bad to travel home.

I don't think that Spanish Flu would be considered a war wound.

If you don’t have access to the book “Soldiers who died in the Great War” (it’s on Ancestry), provide a couple of names and numbers of men you’re talking about. It’s usually more specific than CWGC…

Famous for offering help & advice

The daily lists were generally published around 2-6 weeks after the event being reported on, so those reported in December 1918 may well have occurred before the armistice. If they man was hospitalised then it was classed as 'wounded', so this would include what we now call the Spanish Flu.

Famous for offering help & advice

a man in my family tree was wounded on 24 August 1917 and appears in the weekly wounded list of 9 October. I can imagine perhaps a backlog building up, collecting data ?

Thanks to everyone for their input. The story passed down through the family is that he received injuries to his leg from an exploding shell. It sounds from multiple sources as though the injured lists were several weeks behind which would account for the date.