Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Jack Family, Glasgow

I'm looking for some assistance in finding out more about the Jack family because I've hit so many dead ends! Here's what I know so far, James Jack was born around 1795 in Lesmahagow, married Ann Bowman in 1819, they had from what I can tell, 9 children. One of their children, Margaret married my 3x great grandfather, Leslie Rankin in Garvagh,Ireland in 1848. On the marriage certificate, James Jack is listed as a 'steward', but seems he was actually a carter in Glasgow. James Jack died in the 1850's I'm guessing from census info, his wife Ann died in a poor house in 1863. I would like to know what became of their children and more about the family itself. The reason I'm looking into this again is because I found a DNA connection with someone in Australia, our common ancestor seems to come from the Jack family.

Any help at all would be much appreciated, thank you

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

Do you have any indication from the DNA results of the relationship you share to the Jack family eg 4th, 5th, 6th cousins? This will help in knowing how far back we have to go in researching the family. Not that I am an expert by any means in DNA matters.
    James Jack
    Birth Date 1 June 1794
    Baptised 8 June 1794
    Baptism Place - Lesmahagow, Lanark, Scotland
    Father - Thomas Jack
    Mother - Margaret Forrest
    FHL Film Number - 1066597
    Reference ID - 2:15M1CHG

For some background
    1841 Scotland census
    Cellar, Robertson Lane, Glasgow St Peter
    James Jack 46, Carter,
    Ann Jack 35,
    Margaret Jack 19
    Ann Jack 15
    James Jack 10
    Jean Jack 7
    Cecily Jack 5
    Janet Jack 3
    All born Lanarkshire

Who are the other 3 children and their dates of birth?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for your quick reply! The DNA results suggest we are 5th-8th cousins with around 1% shared DNA. The other 3 children are Marion (b.1819), Thomas (b.1824) and Elizabeth (b.1828). I can't work out why Margaret Jack who married my 3x great grandfather was in Ireland in the middle of the 19th century.

This article may explain why Margaret went to Ireland but the Irish famine was on the horizon so not a good move.
    When you say 1% do you mean 1cM? Have you seen this chart which helps work out what the relationships may be?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Apologies for confusion - it says we share 8cm across 2 segments

I thought it was a bit strange that she would come to such a small and remote place here in Ireland. My theory is she had a relative living here. I could be wrong.

Assuming that the baptism I found for James Jack with parents Thomas Jack and Margaret Forrester is your ancestor I used ScotlandsPeople free index to search for siblings of James between the dates the dates 1770 - 1814. Only 2 siblings in Lesmahagow. I searched in all of Lanark and all other counties but no other baptisms to this couple.

Anna Jack 17/06/1785 Lesmahagow
    Thomas Jack 17/10/1790 Lesmahagow
    James Jack 8/6/1794 Lesmahagow

In the same time period there is a Thomas JACK with wife Isobell LANG baptising a son James JacK 2/6/1788
    William Jack and Martha Bowman baptised a daughter Mary 8/10/1809 and a son Thomas 5/5/1811.
    A William Jack and Dorothea Hamilton baptised a daughter Cstherine 12/2/1814, and David Jack and Janet Smellie baptised a daughter Elisabeth 31/12/1820. Now whether any of these Jack parents are siblings of your Thomas Jack needs to be found out so we need to find the parents of Thomas Jack married to Margaret Forrester. Just done a search anywhere/anytime for a Jack marrying a Margaret or Forrester with no results. Bah!

Does your Australian contact know where and when the Jack surname occurs in her tree?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for doing that. So, James Jack's parents could be Thomas Jack/Margaret Forrester or Thomas Jack/Isobel Lang. I will do a bit more research today also. My Australian contact has the surname beginning with James Jack and daughter Marion.

There's a collection of posts on sources, erc, at the top of the General Scottish forum HERE.
    In short, BMDs started in Scotland in 1855 (but can be much more informative that the English/Welsh ones), before that we have to depend on Church registers. You can search Scotlands People free, but need to pay with pre-bought credits if you want to download copies.

Quote Originally Posted by rankpin59 View Post
    Thank you for doing that. So, James Jack's parents could be Thomas Jack/Margaret Forrester or Thomas Jack/Isobel Lang. I will do a bit more research today also. My Australian contact has the surname beginning with James Jack and daughter Marion.
    In your first post you say that your James Jack was born c1895 so from the baptisms I found on the ScotlandsPeople index the only possible parents are Thomas Jack and Margaret Forrester.

We may also take in to account the Scottish naming patterns for the children in a family, which weren't always followed but if James and Margaret did follow the traditional pattern

The family's first daughter was named after her maternal grandmother
    The second daughter was named after the paternal grandmother
    The third daughter of the family was named after her mother

The family's first son was named after his paternal grandfather
    The second son was named after his maternal grandfather
    The third son was usually named after his father

From the 1841 census and the names of the three children missing from that census you gave me the order of birth of James and Ann's children are
    Marion 1819
    Margaret c1822 -second daughter named after her paternal grandmother Margaret Forrester?
    Thomas c1824 - first son so named after his paternal grandfather Thomas (James' father)
    Ann Jack c1826 named after her mother Ann?
    Elizabeth c1828
    James Jack c1831
    Jean Jack c1834
    Cecily Jack c1836
    Janet Jack c1838

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks again! I've tried to find out more about each of the children, the only one one I can find anything about is Margaret (my 3x great-grandmother). I've looked through ancestry and family search and can't find anything concrete on the others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast