Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyMMM View Post
    And also probably the surname of the mother, if she was a widow.

Before 1969, birth registers (in England/Wales) don't show ANY surname for the child.

Births are indexed under the surnames of one (or both)of the parents named on the entry, depending on their marital status.
    That's very interesting. I has always assumed that the surname on the registration index would be that of the child, not that of one of the parents.

In this case I had assumed that the child was given the name of the bio dad as a first and second names as a way of recording the connection.

You need to get certificates from both entries to see what happened - one possibility is that she originally registered in the wrong district, and then had to re-register the birth in the correct one ( an error of that kind can't be dealt with by a simple correction).
    Yes I will have to order the certificates, I'll add them to my list.

Thanks

The child is normally registered under the surname of the legal father or that of the mother is she was not married. I'm not sure about England, but in Scotland it can only be registered with an unmarried father's surname is he was present at the registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    The child is normally registered under the surname of the legal father or that of the mother is she was not married. I'm not sure about England, but in Scotland it can only be registered with an unmarried father's surname is he was present at the registration.
    I think it was the same in England, and that was why when unmarried women registered the birth of a child, the father’s name would be blank and they would often use the fathers name in the child’s name.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawa View Post
    That's very interesting. I has always assumed that the surname on the registration index would be that of the child, not that of one of the parents.

In this case I had assumed that the child was given the name of the bio dad as a first and second names as a way of recording the connection.

Yes I will have to order the certificates, I'll add them to my list.

Thanks
    The good news is that at least you can order them as PDF copies for £6.00 each instead of having to pay the full price of £11.00 for a certified copy.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12