Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Good evening from Suffolk, UK

My name is Mick and I have started work on one of my bucket list topics which to find out where I came from.
    I am embarrassed by how little I know about my heritage and want to understand more about it to share with my children and grandchildren.
    I think its going to be an interesting journey and its never too late to start.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Mick,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I think its going to be an interesting journey
    and an expensive one!

and its never too late to start.
    That is very true. I think most of us wish we'd started at least twenty years earlier than we did. Or at least spoken to our relatives twenty years earlier, while they were still alive to tell us so much about their lives. (Don't forget to write your life story for your children, grandchildren, and their descendants. Telling them is no good - they'll listen with only half an ear, and then forget most of it anyway! ))
    The only good thing about starting out now is that so much is available on the internet. When I started in 2000 the only census available online was the 1881.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello Mick,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

and an expensive one!

That is very true. I think most of us wish we'd started at least twenty years earlier than we did. Or at least spoken to our relatives twenty years earlier, while they were still alive to tell us so much about their lives. (Don't forget to write your life story for your children, grandchildren, and their descendants. Telling them is no good - they'll listen with only half an ear, and then forget most of it anyway! ))
    The only good thing about starting out now is that so much is available on the internet. When I started in 2000 the only census available online was the 1881.

Pam
    When I started "on line" didn't exist. I used to spend hours in the Archives going through Microfiche film. I remember when we finally got around to computers and having the 1881 census on discs from the Latter Day Saints!

Welcome aboard