Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting to feel at home

Default Place of birth

Message from Moderators:
    People wishing to help should also view this thread

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...868#post687868

Hi

I have my husbands grandads army number, I'm still struggling to find any record of his birth, so wondering if I was to join FWR would his records show me his place of birth?

Sian

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Depends
    (a) if he's in a record that FWR hold
    and
    (b) what the record is. Not all records record the place or date of birth.

Ideally you'd probably want the service record, but approximately 70% of WW1 service records were destroyed by fire and bombing, and service records for people who served after 1922 are still held by the Ministry of Defence.

Why not take the easy route and tell us what you know about him and see what information we can find? Be aware that you will probably have to buy the birth certificate to find the actual place and date of birth, though if it's 1920 or before you you could get the cheaper PDF version if the birth was registered in England or Wales.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Hi Pam

Its the Gerald Carroll the son of the Sadie Carroll/Kinsella I've also been looking for in the sub Brickwall

All I know is his date of birth 8th Jan 1918 I now know his father was also a Gerald Carroll, was deceased in 1938, found this out on Gerald's marriage certificate to Elsie Rogers. I've records of both his marriages, death (1963) and his other children's births.

I've looked on numerous sites and as of yet I cant find any birth records. Have been told he may have been born in Boston. I'm slowly going through the immigration/Passenger records

I've thought of ordering his death certificate but from what I've read deaths prior to 1966/9 did not include place of birth.

sian

Growing old Disgracefully

Have you looked on Ancestry is that where you got Boston from. did he have more than 1 wife/marriage
    Name Gerald Carroll
    Marriage, Oct 1946 Surrey Mid Eastern, Surrey, United Kingdom
    Spouse Mildred A Buckmaster

What year did he die in

A search for all records with the name Sadie Kinsella on FreeBMD only gives me this

Name: Sadie Kinsella
    Registration Date: Apr 1923
    [May 1923]
    [Jun 1923]
    Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
    Registration District: Bucklow
    Inferred County: Cheshire
    Spouse: Joseph Carroll
    Volume Number: 8a
    Page Number: 456

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Have you looked on Ancestry is that where you got Boston from. did he have more than 1 wife/marriage
    Name Gerald Carroll
    Marriage, Oct 1946 Surrey Mid Eastern, Surrey, United Kingdom
    Spouse Mildred A Buckmaster

What year did he die in
    He died 1963 in Folkstone. Boston is what we have been told.
    Was also told one parent is Irish one is American.

He married an Elsie Rogers and Mildred Buckmaster one child with each woman he also had a child with a Doris Remfry.

Can not find a Birth on FreeBMD for Gerald Carroll b 1918.

But found 2 marriages after 1911
    1, Joseph Carroll to Sadie Kinsella 1923 Bucklow
    2, Thomas Carroll to Florence L Kinselle 1946 Prescot

1, Joseph and Sadie had 5 children born Bucklow - 3 boys 2 girls
    2, Thomas and Florence had 4 children born Prescot 4 girls

He is also on the 1938 Census as married but no wife with him occupation Mator Driver. Sorry my mistake his wife is on the next page Else G with 2 names Carroll and Rogers are crossed out and then Grey.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I've thought of ordering his death certificate but from what I've read deaths prior to 1966/9 did not include place of birth
    Probably altered 1969. My granddad died 1966 - no place of birth on death certificate. Granny died 1972 - place of birth given.
    All I know is his date of birth 8th Jan 1918 I now know his father was also a Gerald Carroll, was deceased in 1938, found this out on Gerald's marriage certificate to Elsie Rogers.
    I would take his father's name with a slight pinch of salt. People have given wrong names, either deliberately, or in error. Literally just found out that my dad said his father was Thomas Frederick (which is what he was calling himself at the time); his sister said Thomas William (true), and another brother said just Thomas. Can't find the other brother's marriage certificate ATM. (It's either been misfiled, or else I haven't scanned it to the computer for some reason.)
    Meanwhile (admittedly circa 1850) a great-granny said her father was Thomas. No, no. Thomas was the grandfather who brought her up. She was illegitimate and probably never knew her father's name though I found it out because of a Bastardy Order listed in a newspaper.

There's also the question - did the vicar ask for the first name(s) of Gerald's father, and then assume that his surname was the same as Gerald's? e.g. Vicar - "What's your father's name?" Gerald's reply - "Gerald, he's dead."

As Sandy says, it might be worth getting the second marriage certificate to see if Gerald gives the same information. (I know that certificates are not exactly cheap especially if they take your quest no further forward.)

Just for information, this is the original thread mentioning Gerald.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...oll?highlight=

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”