Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Place of birth

Growing old Disgracefully

I have taken this from your other thread and have 1 question who/where did this infomation come from and what proof did they have or was it just hearsay -

As far as we have been told a Sadie Kinsella left USA and came to England with her son Gerald born Jan 1918 in Boston, after her husband died. Sadie then married a Joseph Carroll 1923 this is the only record I have been able to find. I have searched endlessly for the birth record of Gerald he did go by the name Carroll but I'm 100% sure that Carroll was not his birth name. I've even got an address for a Mrs Kinsella dated November 1965 and I cant even find records using that address.

Starting to feel at home

It all just hearsay. regarding them coming over here from USA

I'm not sure if the Sadie that married the Joseph is even the Sadie I'm looking for any longer. The address that I have for her in Brent shows an Elizabeth Kinsella living there in 1965. there is a Stephen Green, 2 O'conners and a Sheahan all living at the address. Ancestry was playing nice for me to have found that as I've looked numerous times and nothing ever showed up.

Gerald went by the name Carroll

Family Search has a Sadie Kinsella born abt 1907 in Ireland. living as a servant in Boston in the household of W E Dexter in 1930.

Record Collection:
    United States Census, 1930

Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
    W E Dexter Head Male 55 Massachusetts
    Mary S Dexter Wife Female 51 Virginia
    John L Dexter Son Male 18 Massachusetts
    Sadie Kinsella Servant Female 23 Ireland
    Anna Truedson Servant Female 19 Sweden
    Dorothy Cunningham Servant Female 21 Massachusetts
    Elizabeth Dempsler Servant Female 42 England

But can not find birth for Gerald in either Boston or Ireland

I can only find 1 Sadie Kinsella in Ireland and thats in the 1911 Census in County Wicklow

Name:Saidie Kinsella
    Sex: Female
    Event Date:1911
    Event Place:Wicklow, County Wicklow, Ireland
    Event Place (Original): Ballinasilloge (Coolballintaggart, Wicklow), Ireland
    Birth Year (Estimated): 1903
    Birthplace: Co Wicklow
    Marital Status: Single
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter

The rest of the household are
    Thomas Kinsella. Head of Family Male 50 Co Wicklow
    Bridget Kinsella. Daughter Female 37 Co Wicklow
    Lizzie Kinsella. Daughter Female 18 Co Wicklow
    Denis Kinsella. Son Male 17 Co Wicklow
    Maryanne Kinsella. Daughter Female 14 Co Wicklow
    Bridget Kinsella. Daughter Female 12 Co Wicklow
    Saidie Kinsella. Daughter Female 8 Co Wicklow
    Margt Mary Kinsella. Daughter Female 3 Co Wicklow
    Laura Kinsella. Daughter Female Co Wicklow

Did your Sadie Kinsella divorce her husband because in 1939 census she is not with him I have found a marriage for a Sadie Carroll to a Ernest Proctor 1936 at Gt. Ouseburn.

Starting to feel at home

many thank for the above information.

I have no idea who or if she was married. All I know about her is she was a Mrs Kinsella in 1966 living in Brent Harlesden. Was she married then who knows, as I'm 100% sure Gerald was not born a Carroll as I've looked and looked. I've looked at the immigration records for every Gerald, Carroll and a Sadie and nothing.

I have records of her son Gerald living in Croydon in 1939 Canterbury Road, and a record of an Elizabeth Kinsella living at Burns road in 1966.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi there

I am also a little unclear about what are the known facts about Gerald and his mother. Does the address of of Mrs Kinsella comes from something directly and definitely linked to Gerald (eg found among his possessions)or is it a second hand piece of information that is possibly not linked to Gerald at all?

If the address is definitely linked to Gerald then could Elizabeth Kinsella be his mother?In which case she may well be the Elizabeth Carroll who married John Kinsella in 1937 and with him in 1939 as mentioned in an earlier post by Pam. If the correct Elizabeth it would be useful to check this 1937 marriage certificate. It should say if single, widowed or divorced and may hold other clues such as witnesses and occupations.

Starting to feel at home

The address was on a back of a post office account that Kinsella sent to my husbands nan so it can be taken as truth of her address.

Thank you for pointing back out to me Pams previous post I've written now so many notes I'm beginning to lose track of it all. I'm now going to look at the Elizabeth side of things.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you will have to be patient for another few months until the 1921 census is released and see what information you can (hopefully) find about Gerald from that.
    You could send for some marriage and/or death certificates, but if they're the wrong ones you'll just have wasted your money. (Though there are one, possibly two, which I do think would be relevant.)

The absolute known facts so far for which you have written, indisputable, truth are:
    Gerald Carroll, married first Elsie Rogers, and then Mildred Buckmaster.
    You have the certificate for his first marriage which says his father was Gerald Carroll, deceased. (Though you can't prove either of those facts.)
    First marriage was in Croydon registration district in 1938, and in the 1939 Register Gerald, wife Elsie, and redacted-named child are living in Croydon with (presumably) Elsie's parents. Gerald's birth date is given as 8 January 1918.

You don't have the certificate for Gerald's second marriage to Mildred Buckmaster in 1946, Surrey Mid Eastern registration district. This might be worth buying to see if Gerald gives the same details re his father.

A child was born in each marriage, and Gerald fathered a third child with another woman.

Gerald died in June quarter 1963, aged 45, in Folkestone registration district.

Gerald's mother was known just as 'Nan Kinsella', and there is a bank book addressed to Mrs Kinsella, 65 Burns Road, Harlesden. There is no initial or first name, but Christina in your other thread (post # 13) found an Elizabeth M Kinsella living at 65 Burns Road/Street, Harlesden in the electoral registers for 1946, 1947, 1953, and 1956.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...nsella-Carroll
    We therefore ought to assume from that that Gerald's mother was officially called Elizabeth.
    Elizabeth and the same people who were living with her in the earlier years are still living with her in 1965 but at number 39 Burn's Road. (Electoral roll.)

You have a WW2 service number for Gerald but until the Ministry of Defence re-open their service records centre (and clear a massive backlog) it will take some time for the service record (which will hopefully confirm Gerald's birth date as well as give his place of birth) to be issued.

What you are currently unable to prove:
    Gerald's birth surname, and place of birth.
    His mother's and father's names.

When did you add Elizabeth M Kinsella as Gerald's mother to your Ancestry tree, as you said in your earlier posts that her name was Sadie?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam I have found a Sadie Kinsella in Boston as a servant and a Sadie Kinsella in Ireland. But i can not get from Sadie to Elizabeth and note that trees on Ancestry are a bit Ifff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast