Default Campbell - Irish Genealogy

I’m trying to research Irish Genealogy but I’m finding this incredibly difficult. I found out the reason was the reuse of paper during the war and some archives being locked away in the Irish national archives with 1927 census being released in 2027

The problem I have is with my Nans family “Campbell” she was born in blackrock Southern Ireland near Dublin. But her father Robert Campbell was from Northern Ireland.

Does anyone have any advice, unfortunately family is mostly all but passed and those living do not know beyond immediate family.

So I’m looking for advice like where to look how to identify your relatives etc.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Details! Details!
    Do you have you nan's birth certificate? When was she born, who were her parents? Do you have their marriage certificate which should give their ages and hopefully their father's names and occupations? Their ages should help you look for them in the 1901 and 1911 census.

Until you can get back to census years you have to mainly rely on BMD certificates. Most of which you have to purchase, Some parish registers are online so you can use those for baptisms, marriages and burials but they may have vital information missing which will enable you to positively identify someone as 'yours'.
    Some certificates can be purchased slightly cheaper if you opt for a non-certified version, but they often only cover the early years of civil registration, not the more recent ones.

If you have unusual surnames you can sometimes bypass the immediate need to purchase certificates but ypu'd be surprised how many times the same surnames marry each other. I was looking for a fairly unusual surname (say Zloty) the other week and found two marriages where the brides had the same surname (say Forint). Fortunately they were in different parts of the country so I was able to tell which were the children of Adam Zloty and Bella Forint and which belonged to Zebedee Zloty and Freda Forint.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

We have a collection of general information posts (marked "sticky") at the top of the General Irish Forum HERE. Hopefully there will be something of use there.

Campbell is not a rare surname, so details do help (as long as the person involved is deceased). I suspect you'll be tracing this family line back to Scotland eventually!

Good luck!

Settling in

For your nan born in Blackrock; Try the very useful free site for civil records "irishgenealogy.ie" Records of bmds available with decent detail, worth checking out, every county in the Republic of Ireland there. Blackrock is in County Dublin.
    Records start around 1850 through to 1920 for births, to 1945 for marriages,to 1969 for deaths.

For your grandad I think the website is called PRONI....google PRONI, itll point you in the right direction. Best of luck!