Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Medaille D'Honnour - A J Harwood 21.07.19

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me establish how/why my Wife's GGD was awarded the Medaille D'Honnour in 1919. Gazteet 21.07.19

He was awarded the Military Medal in 1918 for saving his sergeant's life in Macedonia in April 1918 - Gazette 13.09.18.

I am doing the research on behalf of my wife for her upcoming birthday.

Kind regards
    James

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, James.
    Can I press you for a little more information, please? Any or all of the following would be useful - a general WW1 search on A. Harwood has just delivered 45 hits...

Forename, regiment(s), rank, service number(s), age... Or anything else that would make him stand out from the crowd.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi thanks for the Welcome.

Arthur John Harwood, Private, 16722, not sure on age.

Thank you for helping with this.

Kind regards
    James

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Oh sorry he was in the Worcestershire regiment

KR
    James

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the war diaries?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Have you tried the war diaries?
    Hi Peter,

I have the two volumes of the Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War and he does get a mention for the Military Medal but could not find anything about this French decoration.

Are these the diaries you are referring to, if not any help pointing me in the right direction appreciated.

Kind Regards
    James

That helps! According to his medal index card, 16722 Pte Arthur J Harwood of the 11 Worcs R predictably also had the Victory, & British medals and the 15 Star. It also says that he arrived in France on 22 Sep 1915.
    In the comments column, against the Victory medal, it says "Trans. Class. Z A-R."
    It has obviously not been updated since before he got the MM.

His service records seems to be among the 2/3 of such records that did not survive the fires of WW2.

On with the search,.

The website for the Worcs Regt HERE has a page about the awards made to members of the Regt. It only refers to the London Gazette for information.
    The page referred to above give the date of the award as 21 Jul 1919, at which time 4 soldiers from the Worcs got it. However, the date must refer to the presentation as another guy in the same table got his in 2010!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    That helps! According to his medal index card, 16722 Pte Arthur J Harwood of the 11 Worcs R predictably also had the Victory, & British medals and the 15 Star. It also says that he arrived in France on 22 Sep 1915.
    In the comments column, against the Victory medal, it says "Trans. Class. Z A-R."
    It has obviously not been updated since before he got the MM.

His service records seems to be among the 2/3 of such records that did not survive the fires of WW2.

On with the search,.
    Thanks Lesley,

Do you or anyone on the forum know what Trans. Class. Z A-R means? that's interesting!

Kind regards

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    The website for the Worcs Regt HERE has a page about the awards made to members of the Regt. It only refers to the London Gazette for information.
    The page referred to above give the date of the award as 21 Jul 1919, at which time 4 soldiers from the Wircs got it. However, the date must refer to the presentation as another guy in the same table got his in 2010!
    Hi Lesley, again t5hanks for all your hard work on this for me.

The fact that 4 others got it at the same time could mean that what they did was a group based thing, I have heard that these medals can be awarded for things like saving a railway track in France etc, so maybe it was a group award, its so interesting I wish the records had not been destroyed.

Is there anyway of looking at the French records?

Kind regards
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast