Famous for offering help & advice

Default Janet Wear JAMIESON GRO deaths search

This entry for Janet EMERSON, in the burial register for City of London Cemetery is, I'm fairly confident, the burial for Janet Wear JAMIESON, the daughter of Alexander Wear JAMIESON & Beatrix Watson MITCHELL. The abode of 8 Catherine Street, Bromley is the family home from 1850 to 1870. BUT can anyone find an entry for this death in the GRO index....(should be in the Poplar Registration District).

Janet EMERSON
    Birth Date: abt 1851 (08 Feb 1851 actually).
    Burial Date: 7 Jul 1853.
    Abode: 8 Catherine Place, Bromley.
    Burial Place: City of London & Tower Hamlets Cemetery, England.
    Parish: Bromley.

Thanks

Mitch

Hi Mitch
    Using FreeBMD with the June 1/4 1853, birth year as 1851, Poplar reg district, no first or surnames entered, there are no results for a surname anything like Jamieson/Emmerson. Using the same criteria and adding the first name Janet and anywhere in the UK still no results,
    The only entries that I can see may be relevant are these two but as you have a burial record why would she be registered without a name?
    June 1/4 Unknown Female Poplar 1c/406
    June 1/4 Unknown Female Poplar 1c/427

I also tried it with birth year 1850 and extended the time frame to include the Sept 1/4 1853 but still no result.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Are the online English databases all based on the same set of indexes? Is it possible that the official index has a spelling variation such as Jamison? It might be a biggish job, but have you considered looking at all Janets (no surname) of those birthdate, birthplace, etc? Mistakes do happen on BMDs.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I also used FreeBMD but just entered Janet (no surname) and searched Poplar 1851 – 1853.

The only result is a Janet Steel 1853, S qtr, Poplar Union, Vol 01C, Page 393.

This shows up in GRO with the age at death 2 years.

Not quite what Leslie was suggesting but maybe the name Steel means something to Mitch?

Peter

Knowledgeable and helpful

Per GRO Janet Steel born Poplar June Q 1851 had MMN Cook.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Are the online English databases all based on the same set of indexes? Is it possible that the official index has a spelling variation such as Jamison? It might be a biggish job, but have you considered looking at all Janets (no surname) of those birthdate, birthplace, etc? Mistakes do happen on BMDs.
    Mistakes do happen as you are told to write what you see not what you think it should be when you are transcribing I know this from years ago when I was a Transcriber for FreeBMD.

I was thinking more about the original BMD certificates than later indexers.

Reputation beyond repute

There were loopholes in the procedures before 1874 (I think it was).

It's quite possible that the death was simply not registered.

Famous for offering help & advice

Wow you have all been busy while I've been at work. I certainly then haven't missed anything obvious. I could understand the EMERSON entry in the burial register as the Parents were Scottish and with the accent in London JAMIESON could be misheard. I've come burials of relatively newborns with unregistered deaths but not for a 2 year old.
    Thanks for all your input!

Mitch