Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a sceptic

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default I am a sceptic

A few days ago I was watching a UK quiz show and a contestant claimed her hobbies included genealogy. She claims to have traced her family back to William the Conqueror.
    How would she have done that?

I have only managed to get one of my lines back to the early 17th century and that contains numerous assumptions so I am only claiming some certainty to the late 18th century , and even then I could be mistaken.

Famous for offering help & advice

Perhaps descended from someone who is mentioned in one of the peerage books perhaps. My Mum has a line which thanks to a family history society and various publications from centuries past can be traced back to before 1420 - I actually haven't researched it but it is well documented through the peerages and wills. Many of my other lines flounder before 1750 especially in Scotland.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

She might well have done. On the other hand she might have indulged in some creative connections. (I was hoping I might be able to trace back to Nicolaa Delahaye but as she had only daughters that hope was rather rudely dashed! )

As Mitch says, you need to be able to link into someone mentioned in a peerage book. That's how Matthew Pinsent the Olympic rower was able to have his roots traced back to William the Conqueror on 'Who do you think you are'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Pinsent

Danny Dyer, an English actor, also had his ancestry traced back to William the Conqueror on the show. There's an interesting comment about that in his Wikipedia entry.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_..._and_education

As for Nicolaa DelaHaye, her wikipedia entry contains details about her children (and in fact her name because I understood she became a Delayaye on marriage, not at birth) that differ from a talk I listened to last weekend given by someone who has extensively researched Nicolaa.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicola_de_la_Haie

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

If she had used FamilySearch, she could have got a lot further back than William the Conquerer. My favourite FamilySearch ancestor is the Norse god, Odin. And of course his wife, Mrs Odin!

Peter, that makes us distant cousins!

Mind you, you don’t need FamilySearch for that - I have a book that traces the heritage of the Royal Stuart’s back to Adam, and thence to the occupants of Olympus! The first edition was prepared for James VI and I.

on another episode of WDYTYA the BBC's Frank Gardner was shown to be descended from William too, but they only researched as far as the 16th century to make the connection

Brick wall demolition expert!

Try inputting God or Jesus Christ into a well known search engine for family trees (A***)and see how many hits you get.......

Luck and preservation of a higher status geneology.

Three of my family trees I can only trace back to 1700/1600 but one I can trace back to 1400

It’s just luck and probably the families status in the uk at the time if records was kept

Knowledgeable and helpful

Some great answers in the above bringing a smile. I had considered the peerage but there again the link into them has be conclusively proven.
    Too many people make statements but cannot produce documented proof - so I am still skeptical of some claims.

But I didn't see any posts referring to the DNA route - surely if she had used that she would have got back to Adam !!!!!

I can't see the attraction of being related to royalty. So many monarchs seem to have been despotic warmongers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast