Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am a sceptic

The main reason that so many so many published trees seem to lead back to royalty or the upper nobility is that those folk had stone buildings to store their records, and clerks to keep them.
    If people lived quietly, raised their kids, paid their rent on time and worshipped in damp, thatched wattle and daub churches, they left very few records...

It’s got a lot better since they cleaned up the IGI, but....

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I do not think I would have much faith in anyone's claims who appeared on a quiz show - especially the so-called ~"celebrity " ones

Starting to feel at home

Some names are important in history. Some people did important things. Some people had family help. Some people had royalty help them. Many were war mongers. Others made great progresses.
    My family was full of bishops that built things.
    William, Duke of Normandy children were known and written about. Normans had a large influence on England.

Denis Poore, pauper non in spe

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Poore View Post
    Some names are important in history. Some people did important things. Some people had family help. Some people had royalty help them. Many were war mongers. Others made great progresses.
    My family was full of bishops that built things.
    William, Duke of Normandy children were known and written about. Normans had a large influence on England.

Denis Poore, pauper non in spe
    Perfectly possible if she used old fashioned research rather than think, as so many do, that eveything is on the internet these days.
    Whilst it is true much research may be done on the internet that excludes a huge varity of records that have not and in a probibility will never be digitised.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Starting to feel at home

I have 4 sources to thank for my studies.

My father for documenting history with pictures.

The 10 family gatherings an the related books that were published in 1881. This gave me the ships manifest with my families names.

The journalist in the family and the 4th baronet that included family history back to king Henry.

The many books about Roger of Salisbury.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12