Thread: Dandridge

Default Dandridge

Hi, I have another brick wall if someone could help me.

I don’t have full access to Ancestry.com - due to unemployment . 2020 grrrrrrrh anyway could someone do we a really great full favour.

My relative Irene Gladys Galloway - born 1929 died 2007 - from Oxford. I need to know who her parents was from her birth certificate.

I know and have met her mother many years ago, alas all my relatives are now deceased to ask. Her mother was Gladys Isabel Dandridge born 1910 died 2003 it was very tragic when she died. I remember that event too.

Anyway one of the greatest mysteries was whom my Grans father was see. Gladys Isabel Dandridge married a Ernest Tideswell and they had two children. Born 1927 and 1932 - my gran was the middle child being born in 1929. But it was not Ernest tideswell child. So my Gran was given the maiden name of her mother Dandridge.

But as I said I got so far but being unemployed I can’t afford the subscription fees. During 2020 my thirst for geneology grew but I am limited. As soon as I get a job I’m signing up to it but for now I’m asking for someone’s help. Please help me solve this mystery

Thank you
    Last edited by Mr.E.Nigma; 19-04-2021 at 1:51 AM. Reason: Can someone re-edit the name of topic to Dandridge

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.E.Nigma View Post
    My relative Irene Gladys Galloway - born 1929 died 2007 - from Oxford. I need to know who her parents was from her birth certificate.
    A subscription to Ancestry won't help I'm afraid - birth certificates are not online, they can only be obtained from the local registrar's office or the GRO.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Further to Jomot's reply, I did look to see if you could get a black-and-white PDF copy of the certificate from the GRO but for 1929 you can only get a full-price certificate which will cost you £11.00
    Order via https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Once you've registered, if you click 'search the indexes' beside the relevant entry there's a radio button and if you click that then you just have to do a couple more clicks and everything is done for you instead of you having to find the reference number, etc, first.

With regard to ordering from the local registrar's office, the birth was registered in Headington registration district, and the registers are now held in Oxford.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/headington.html
    However, at the moment they're not issuing certificates.
    https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/resid...ly-certificate

There is also a strong possibility that no father's name is given on the certificate.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20161207...tes/births.htm

For access to Ancestry and/or Findmypast, you may be able to access one or possibly both through your local library. Sometimes you have to go to the library, but often you can access them at home if you have a library card. It's not the all-singing, all-dancing, version of the site, but one called 'the library' version. It does have all the basic datasets that you want though.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Like Pam, I'm not sure that sight of your gran's birth certificate will give you the information you are looking for. The fact that she was registered in her mother's maiden name suggests that it is possible that the child's father had by that time lost any active interest in her. As he was not married to her mother, it is my understanding that he would have to give his consent to be identified as the father on the birth certificate. In which case it is quite likely that the relevant space will be blank. But you will only know by examining the certificate.

Growing old Disgracefully

I was interested in your post as I have Dandridge Families from Oxfordshire in my Family Tree.

I only found the 1 marriage between Tideswell and Dandridge but found 5 Childrens births on Free BMD

So possible Gladys and Ernest had more than 3 children that you know about.

Hope this helps you. If you have the Marriage Cert. for Irean Gladys and Dennis Galloway what has it got for her fathers name on it.

Growing old Disgracefully

I have sent you a private message

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    I was interested in your post as I have Dandridge Families from Oxfordshire in my Family Tree.

I only found the 1 marriage between Tideswell and Dandridge but found 5 Childrens births on Free BMD

So possible Gladys and Ernest had more than 3 children that you know about.

Hope this helps you. If you have the Marriage Cert. for Irean Gladys and Dennis Galloway what has it got for her fathers name on it.
    Hmmm that could make us relatives. Lol small world.

Also you may or may not be aware if your from the same family tree. Then you also have a connection to Martha Dandridge the wife of the 1st president of America George Washington

My Dandridge family tree can go back to 1470. Which I was really shocked I could go that far back. Alas, my gran never knew her father. So if it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t of probably searched along the Dandridge line. However some amazing knowledge came out of it, that of which Martha Dandridge / Martha Washington was a long distant cousin. Which connects to the George Washington and even Robert E Lee American history. So I’ll share with you my research. The following successor line starts with the oldest relative, plus partner underneath will be their child

It starts in Sudbury, Suffolk, England

Thomas Dandridge - 1470-1520
    Thomas Dandridge - 1497-1525
    Nicolas Dandridge - 1522-1591 = Margaret Joan Bert 1530-1591

They move from there to Oxford and kind of travel around oxford or oxfordshire

Thomas Dandridge - 1560-1591 = Elizabeth Webb <— Thomas and Elizabeth had 3 children, there youngest was Bartholomew which leads you to Martha Dandridge/George Washington family tree. However Thomas youngest brother John was my bloodline.

John William Dandridge - 1588–1638 = Elizabeth Goodwin 1590-1635
    John Dandridge - 1619-1684 = Joan Barfield - 1625-1984
    William Dandridge - 1647-1693 = Jane George - 1655-1684
    John Dandridge - 1691-1729 = Catherine West - 1690-1790
    Francis Dandridge - 1713-1772 = Mary Edney - 1716-1758
    John Dandridge - 1740-1790 = Mary Atterwell - 1742-1803
    Francis Dandridge - 1770-1851 = Deborah Bailey - 1764-1837
    Benjamin Dandridge - 1802-1883 = Sarah Lay - 1809-1879
    Abraham Dandridge - 1851-1918 = Ann Maria Dandridge - 1854-1908
    William Charles Dandridge - 1875-1961 = Anne Horwood - 1879
    Gladys Isabel Dandridge - 1910-2003
    Irene Gladys Dandridge - 1929-2007 <—— My Grandmother