Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Of the children's marriages I've found online, none had father described as deceased
    Just come across the marriage of Charles William Henry Herbert to Florence Bertha Rippon, Dec 25th 1906 at Peterborough St Mary, Charles' father is described as William Herbert deceased, engineer.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I note Percy on his Army Service Papers when he enlisted gave Arthur Robert Herbert as his next of kin it was changed later to Rosina (his wife). Arthur Robert Herbert's address was a Hospital in Toronto - must be Archibald Robert Herbert.

Frances and children Bella; Charles; Douglas; Archie and Percy were in Greenwich workhouse for a few days in Dec 1888, Fanny (Frances) was listed as the wife of Wm an engineer 126, Woodpecker Rd.
    On the next page under the column 'Cause of seeking relief" it says "Deserted"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    On the next page under the column 'Cause of seeking relief" it says "Deserted"
    Wow, I've seen this record before, but never saw the next page with that column! Thank you for pointing this out to me!

I've noticed a couple of times on Ancestry that the info pertaining to a record extends to the next page. I wish that it was clear when a collection may contain records spanning more than one page. Eg. the WWI service records, I did not notice for ages that there were many pages associated with Percival (a record which someone else pointed out earlier, thank you!)

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by aetrac View Post
    Wow, I've seen this record before, but never saw the next page with that column! Thank you for pointing this out to me!
    It certainly adds strength to your very reasonable suspicion that he's the same man who was later with Georgina.

I too am inclined to think William Herbert is the William with Georgina in 1901 and 1911.

1939 census gives a birth of 11 Dec 1857 that birth would most likely have been registered in the first qrt 1858
    Births Mar 1858
    Herbert William David Lewisham 1d 667

However, if that is your William I cannot find an appropriate death registration. Some trees on Ancestry have attached this death to William but they don't appear to have a death certificate to back up the claim.

Deaths Mar 1947
    Herbert William D age 89 Chepstow 8c 266

Would an 82 year old living in Lewisham in 1939 have died in the Chepstow district in 1947, would someone so advanced in years have travelled away from his local area? I suppose one of his children could have moved up there and he went to stay with them!
    Alma

Brick wall demolition expert!

The National Archives are holding a webinar on 27 April called "Top Level Tips : Merchant Navy Records".

I believe that it is free:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/top-l...ent=2021-04-22

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12