Thread: Ancestry Hints

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default Ancestry Hints

Folks,
    Are others having problems dealing with the new system of hints?
    Eric

Hi Eric
    When you say 'hints' do you mean those that appear down the right hand side when using the 'search facility or those that appear for people on your personal tree?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Takes a while to get used to the new system, but it's sort of ok.

I can never understand when they 'fix' what isn't broken. Makes my blood boil on occasions, as this just lands on your doorstep, and you just have to get on with it. It's pointless complaining, they won't, or will not change it.

At the moment I have roughly 98,000 hints across 5 family trees on Ancestry. There are 28,412 on my main family tree.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Christina,
    The hints which appear under the leaf on the header bar.
    I used a new hint to add a couple and their children from a census entry and ended up with only the father's record added.
    I spoke to Ancestry about the new system and was advised it is here to stay,like it or lump it!
    And to make matters worse their call centre is now out of the Phillipines.

Famous for offering help & advice

difficult to put this into words, but if you click on the hint, which then makes the panel of information appear from the right hand side, if you then click on a left-pointing arrow on the panel it expands the panel and makes it slightly easier to use (in my opinion)

..... if you see what I mean !!

Thanks for the hint about the left hand arrow wimsey, I hadn't noticed that before. The problem I have is that where it asks, at the bottom of the hints page, 'Would you like to save this information to your tree?' The 3 answers below the question from which to choose are not accessible unless I go to the top RH corner of the original hints page and click on the square between the red cross and the minus sign. That is the only way I can get the 3 choices to show.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    Takes a while to get used to the new system, but it's sort of ok.

I can never understand when they 'fix' what isn't broken. Makes my blood boil on occasions, as this just lands on your doorstep, and you just have to get on with it. It's pointless complaining, they won't, or will not change it.

At the moment I have roughly 98,000 hints across 5 family trees on Ancestry. There are 28,412 on my main family tree.
    That's 28,412 hints, not family tree members. Thought I'd better clear that up.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

I have been using a "work around" by viewing hints then using search and entering data.One hint appeared today for a marriage but spouse's name was incomplete,minor problem will edit before adding to tree,but not allowed.Phoned Ancestry who confirmed no editing allowed.